Getting issues with MIDI tracks

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hey all!

First of all, I'm running PT 12.4.

I started working on a mix a while ago. For a simpler use (I thought!) I imported the drum tracks of all the songs in one session to convert snare and kick audio tracks to MIDI. So in this "converting" session, I have two MIDI files per song.

Now, I'm facing a problem to export the MIDI files separately for each song. Exporting the MIDI file exports all the MIDI files. So what I need is to know how to export the MIDI file for each song from one big MIDI file of the entire album. I tried to export the selected files (for ex. SONG1 snare and kick) in order to import them in my mix session but it does not work. My mix sessions are already properly set up tempo wise, so I don't import tempo info with the MIDI. Tips?

Thanks a lot.

I don't use PT, but can't you just set in/out locators for each song, and then do a MIDI export ?

If all else fail, here is a ghetto way to do it :
- create a new midi track
- create a midi note at the exact beggining of your audio events for each song (on the 1st time on the grid of each song)
- do your big whole export
- import the whole MIDI in your mixing session, cut 3 tracks together and align the 1st note/MIDI event with the beginning of the audio / on the grid

EDIT : also, search in PT preferences if there are no overall MIDI settings for import / export (like export intervall between locators, import tempo from track...etc).

Thanks a lot man. I've already tried this tho and it did not work. As I have to work fast on this one, I did my sample replacements in this big session and did the rest in each mix sesh (phase checking..). That's the very first and last time I do that way :) Never do several songs in the same session even for MIDI converting.

What did not work with the gettho way ?
It fucked with tempo infos ?

Anyway, if you were in a hurry, I understand you didn't waste any time fucking around with this.

Might be nice to figure it out for the next time.
I'm pretty sure you can export only a portion of MIDI (just like you can choose to export only a portion of audio), and also set if you want to import tempo info or not.
We need some PT guru to help.

Yeah, it was not aligned and even not aligned between snare and kick themselves. I'm pretty sure it's actually possible to export a section but my researches have given nothing. PT is not the greatest DAW for MIDI tho. Will try fancy stuff when I have time to see if something is working in this case. If so, I'll post the trick here of course.