Getting together a guitar tone

jinxtigr

feline miscreant
Jun 19, 2008
So I've never really tried this before and I'm pretty sure my gear isn't entirely appropriate but I'm all about the mad scientist projects and it's time to take a shot...

http://www.jinxtigr.com/temp/TestHeavyGuit.mp3

How far off is this from a proper high gain amp/4x12 cab with V30s metal tone?

If I'm missing by a mile there's no point in getting into how I got it, but if there's anything good here I'm happy to share :devil:

Cool man- I hear you. I wonder if the lightness of my strings is betraying me? It's tuned with a strobe tuner but squeeze the strings a bit and it goes out. I have to be playing it wrong in some way. I'm just a noob here...

It's nice that there's potential- it's come quite a long way. I can't really afford (or properly record) a big amp like a 5150, so that is an Epiphone Valve Junior that I hotrodded, going into a cab with one Weber Alnico Blue, a 57 and some compression and EQ after the fact.

I would like to think I can play guitar but I know that I've spent a lot more time hotrodding the amp, coding the compression and EQ plugins etc.

Should have taken more pains over that playing, assuming I can even do better than that at this point :erk:

Yeah, I'm pretty keen :) at least, I know what I like! Thanks for the welcome and the straight talk- I'd like to think I'm making a good start by knowing what I don't know :)

It's particularly weird wrapping my head around the accuracy and- linear-ness? of metal rhythm. I've played for a little while but mostly noodly crap, bluesy, and atonal weird, none of which is ANY preparation other than 'I can find a note on the fretboard'. I want to learn the new discipline.

That's partly because I grew up listening to stuff like Yes and King Crimson, guitar-oriented prog, and then in recent years discovered Meshuggah and realized, "HEY! I could count that! Or at least with a little practice, I could count that, and it's like an extension of everything I like best!"

So yer stuck with me ;)

I have some redeeming qualities like writing plugins, and maybe engineering- I'll put up a quick track I did which is how I usually get things to sound and we'll see if people :puke:

Looking forward to learning some new tricks...