Ghost of the Sun

Hey, what do you think about this song?

I think it is one of the most original tracks katatonia has ever written.
it has many interesting and experimental stuff. Many rythm changes, aggression, atmosphere, a clear melody, angered and soft vocals...

i wonder how much did it took for them to write it...
it's a complex song!

...and i find it very uplifting! like a war-song.
when i listen to it while driving, i speed up as fuckin hell...
i feel like angered...full of strength! :headbang:

I love the ending. I can relate so much with Jonas' words "See two lovers meet, pass you on the street." Nyström's backing vocals are great too. Still, I don't listen to it as often as the rest.
I don't find it uplifting at all. :p Angry, definitely.

Seeing as I'm an instrumental idiot, I can't say much about how original the instrumentation is. It sounds pretty alike to the rest of Viva Emptiness. They've done better when it comes to atmosphere in my opinion.

The backing vocals are by Daniel, not Nystrom. The song is certainly one of the more, if not the most, angry expression from the band. Not in my personal top 5 of the album, but a great one to get into when driving...at night...after a bitter breakup...

It's a very good song, like the most of their songs ;)
But I wouldn't agree about this:
"I think it is one of the most original tracks katatonia has ever written."

Definitely one of the stronger numbers on the album, which kind of leads to my problem with VE. It starts off too good. Ghost of the Sun is very original in my opinion, and I love Anders' use of the pedal.
But going off on a tangent here, like I said, VE is too front and end-loaded. You have three great tracks to start off with(Ghost, Sleeper, Criminals), then a couple of weak tracks, then Burn The Remembrance which is solid, then blah(well to me anyways) until Evidence, Omerta, and Inside The City of Glass rolls along. And that is the source of my greatest dissappointment with that album, aside from some of the songwriting changes. And that is why LFDGD is so good; the tracks are placed perfectly. Perhaps if the distribution of tracks were altered on VE, it would be better. Anybody else feel the same way?

Definetly their heavyest and grooviest song. Jonas vocal lines "I trusted you, you lied..." is really cool. One of their most progressive also, I'd say.

It's very good live too...

And something off-topic:
Guys, do you really have to use signatures that are bigger then the whole forum? Damn, stop searcing for attention. I think about guys like SunlapseVertigo etc...

I don't think VE is too weak in the middle, in addition to Burn The Remembrance I think A Premonition and the stretch between tracks 8-11 are great, the latter representing the really desperate sounding part of the album's recurring theme(s).

ghost of the Sun is the best opener when they play live!!!

Every katatonia gig MUST begin with Ghost of the Sun, otherwise it isn't as good:)