Ghoulish Gifts from ELDRITCH

ThunderThrasher

New Metal Member
Sep 14, 2010
Houston TX
It has been a little over a month since I came back from Italy where I had the best time of my life hanging out with the guys of Eldritch and watching them play two gigs in their hometown. I would have posted this a little sooner but I was too busy recovering from all the excitement and madness I was having there. I've been an Eldritch fan since Seeds of Rage first came out. Thanks to Larry Kolota of Kinesis Records who turned me on to this band after writing a thumbs down review of their debut album, Seeds of Rage. The guy was deeply mistaken as I was impressed with what I heard! Love the way this band incorporates thrash & prog metal into their music while keeping it melodic. Seeds of Rage, Headquake & El Nino are perhaps my favorite albums of all time closely followed by A Portrait of the Abyss Within & Blacken Day. I grew up listening to them but have never seen the band live until now! So here is a brief account of how it all went down while I was there...

As I boarded off the train, I met the vocals behind the band Terence Holler himself! Great guy and very down-to-earth. Got me situated in my hotel and then had me over for supper at his house. Not only a talented singer but a great cook! But things really started to boil when he told me the band was having a rehearsal later that night! I was stoked as the other band members were arriving one by one and setting up their gear in the sound room. They played the whole set list planned for the gig on Friday! I was overwhelmed with emotion watching this band for the first time! They opened up with Reverse and played one of my all time favorite songs Ghoulish Gift and Incurably Ill to name a few including Nebula Surface (great beautiful song) Following the rehearsal, we all huddled around the table over some beers and shared some laughs. The day of the show soon came and I was ready for some more Eldritch! The band sounded very tight as they played Reverse again. Terry's singing voice is definitely very unique and one of the best in metal music today. The guy can even growl nicely without butchering the music like in the song Dusk Til Dawn. Then there is Eugene Simone, the guitar wizard, who never seizes to amaze me. He is one of the most underated guitarists of all time. The moment the Headquake intro Blood From the Cradle came on, I was instantly possessed by Eugene's guitar playing as they played Ghoulish Gift! But perhaps the most memorable moment was when the band invited me on stage as they played the last song of their set Incuarbly Ill off Seeds of Rage! The following morning, the excitement continued when my friend texted me from ProgPower that Eldritch had been oficially announced to play next year! I can certainly say this trip turned out far way better than I had expected! Time for the dozen thank yous that made my trip a blast!

Terry thanks for your hospitality, food, sneak preview of the new album and the T-shirts! especially that rare Eldritch T-shirt! amd most importantly the music! Kudos for Rudj "Cazares" for playing La Cucaracha. That song really made me feel right at home LOL. It was great meeting you and really appreciate the guitar pics man! Rafahell, thanks for the autogrpahed yet beat up drumstick! You certainly have technical talent! Drums were sounding awesome at the rehearsal! John, besides being a great bass player, I would like to hear more growling one the next album LOL. Second of all, seeing I made the long trip, I don't think you honestly can say "Houston, we have a problem" every again? Eugene thanks again for keeping the music of Eldritch alive. It was a great honor and experience meeting you in person finally. Can't wait for the new album! You rule the strings! Gabriele, it was also a great pleasure meeting you. Seems as though you have been smoothely adjusting with the band and wish you the best as the newest member of Eldritch. It was also a treat meeting former band members Martin and Dave and other fans at the show! You guys rule! And last but not least, thanks to Glen & company for bringing us ProgPower every year and givining bands a chance to showcase their music. See you all there!

Wow! I mean, really, WOW! After reading that, it is really making me feel good about getting to sponsor the guys for this next ProgPower! I am actually seriously considering making a trip to Italy sometime this spring myself, as I want to visit the DGM guys, but damn, if I can also see Eldritch as well, that would be so awesome!

Wow! I mean, really, WOW! After reading that, it is really making me feel good about getting to sponsor the guys for this next ProgPower! I am actually seriously considering making a trip to Italy sometime this spring myself, as I want to visit the DGM guys, but damn, if I can also see Eldritch as well, that would be so awesome!

I agree with everything Steve said above. So looking forward to meeting Terence and the rest of Eldtritch, especially after that glowing review!!

:headbang: :kickass:

Great to meet other Eldritch fans! How does band sponsorship work exactly? I would like to see this band play in the states more often. Hopefully, this fest will open up some doors for them. I will more than likely see them again before ProgPower. Bunch of great guys.

Its weird that I just had a discussion last nite with a guy that a similar encounter with Iced Earth's Matt Barlowe. as I otld him there is osmethign about the people that are familar with/play this genre of music in that we are all a big family essentially. this just further rpoves my point.

Great to meet other Eldritch fans! How does band sponsorship work exactly?

Here's a thread that talked about the sponsorship opportunity for the upcoming fest.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...sorship-information-last-call-b4-closing.html

Basically fans put up sponsorship money to help defray the cost of bringing in bands from outside the US (and to help reduce ticket prices for everyone else). In return, sponsors get "VIP" treatement (attending sound checks, going backstage, early entry to the venue, etc.)

I would like to see this band play in the states more often. Hopefully, this fest will open up some doors for them. I will more than likely see them again before ProgPower. Bunch of great guys.

ProgPower typically opens doors for bands. For many bands who play the fest, this is the first time they've played in the US. After they play PP USA a number of them do go on tour in the states a few years down the road. PP USA helps expose bands to a wider audience. I know that Eldritch has played in the US before, but I hope it exposes them to a new audience that may not have heard of them before.

So it looks like I may have missed the opportunity to sponsor them next year. Anyhow, thanks for the link as I have a better understanding how band sponsorship works. Guess I will have to sponsor them unoficially.

To Mr. Up & Away about Eldritch sounding weak in comparison to earlier albums? Blacken Day sounds heavy to me. One thing I will have to agree with you is they do sound awesome live!

What was meant by "weak" is the material does not meet up to the standard they set with albums like Headquake and El Nino. Reverse had elements that were abit of a detour, but it has it's moments. PotAW was a good return, it came close to the earlier stuff. But since then, it's been all downhill quality-wise. Any band can be heavy for the sake of just being heavy. Heavy doesn't mean good.

What was meant by "weak" is the material does not meet up to the standard they set with albums like Headquake and El Nino. Reverse had elements that were abit of a detour, but it has it's moments. PotAW was a good return, it came close to the earlier stuff. But since then, it's been all downhill quality-wise. Any band can be heavy for the sake of just being heavy. Heavy doesn't mean good.

And I'm probably the opposite of you with regards to Eldritch.

I personallly did not like the first two albums (Seeds of Rage and Headquake) at all. They made major strides with El Niño. Reverse was hit or miss depending on the song. But I enjoyed Neighbourhell and Blackenday. I think Neighbourhell was slightly better than Blackenday.

Mr. Up & Away i now understand your definition of weak. However, when I said heavy I was stating the fact that the Eldritch sound has gotten heavier over the last couple of albums compared to their earlier works. That's all. And I agree with you that any band can sound heavy and that in itself does not equate good music. (eg. Dream Theater) But Eldritch defies that trend. For example, while Blacken Day sounds more aggressive & thrashy the songs still do have solid structure and carry on with the melodic sounds like previous albums. The song Why? is just one example. The album even throws in some less fast-paced songs for the faint-hearted like the beautiful song The Blackened Day and the song ballad Broken Road featuring Ray Alder. This album features great production and I really like where the band is heading. They seem to experiment and refine their sound with each new record. In any case, can't wait for the release of the new album. This time it will feature keyboards and maybe satisfy your thirst for Eldritch once again?

Yes you are right. The promoter posted a video of the song Ghoulish Gift from Headquake. Very fitting for a thread titled, "Ghoulish Gifts from Eldritch." Don't you think? Second of all, the progressive elements are still present in the music. Point is the band sounds great with or without keys and still manage to retain that Eldritch trademarked sound.