Gibson Flying V pickups

And additional question. I am planning to buy Peavey Rockmaster, can it deliver 6505/5150 sound?

The Rockmaster and 5150 can be tweaked to get an almost identical tone (Daunt made a blind shootout with CurveEQ), but still, the Rockmaster doesn't sound too much like a 5150 IMO. It has it's own character. Here's a couple of tones I've got out of mine (The guitars are all Rockmaster):

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ads/495807-mammoth-distant-me-now-vocals.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/484331-going-kse-tone-rockmaster.html

Some people tape the battery to the back, others tape it to the strap...but easiest is just to put it in the cavity. Less messy, less cable, less room for oh shit I accidentally ripped the battery out during a massive live performance.

i don't mean taping it to the back or other crappy solutions, but you can built it into a nice metal box, you just need a stereo cable from the guitar to the box, one wire carries your signal, like usual, the other is for power.

you could use a small adapter like a boss psa to power it even.

...or you could save the trouble and just have a fucking phillips screwdriver handy and just pop the pickguard off and put a new battery in every now and again. You don't have to change it all the time unless you are stupid enough to leave your guitar plugged in all the time.

I think you get like 600 hours of life out of a battery in a EMG rig, lets estimate that 300 is of decent voltage to where you won't notice a difference. Think of it this way: how often do you change your strings? If you weren't lazy, the answer would be along the lines of once-a-month unless you literally play all the time, then more often. There ya go, change the battery when you change strings. No need to rig up elaborate shit, a 9v is cheap and easy.

Wow! Just checked Barecknuckles pickups price. The are made of gold or what? 90GBP per pickup. That is way more than I've expected.

...or you could save the trouble and just have a fucking phillips screwdriver handy and just pop the pickguard off and put a new battery in every now and again. You don't have to change it all the time unless you are stupid enough to leave your guitar plugged in all the time.

I think you get like 600 hours of life out of a battery in a EMG rig, lets estimate that 300 is of decent voltage to where you won't notice a difference. Think of it this way: how often do you change your strings? If you weren't lazy, the answer would be along the lines of once-a-month unless you literally play all the time, then more often. There ya go, change the battery when you change strings. No need to rig up elaborate shit, a 9v is cheap and easy.

+1, stop bitching and just try it, you'll get used to it in no time! :D

Today I've arranged exchange)) Dude gives me EMG's 81 81 from his Jackson RR. And give him my soapy crap)) I'll inform you when they are installed in my V . Hope it is going to be gorgeous))

Im using emg 81/85 (18v mod) in my Gibson Flying V into a ts9 and my 6505 and it sounds very fat and smooth and so quiet mmm.! The guitar tech who installed the emg's had to enlarge the cavity in the back to fit the 2 batteries for the 18v mod which cost a little extra but that wasnt a problem. I love the lead tone also which is again smoooth but with a little bite. :kickass:
Im lovin the rhythm channel..

to krokit:

Has he drilled the cavity to widen it?

He routed the cavity to make it big enough for 2 batteries which are accessible on the back of the guitar in a small compartment which has a plastic screw-on cover. Looks really neat. :Smokin:

Seems like you assume you have to get a bullshit drill to do this. You'd need a router to do it right, using a drill is going to fuck your shit up....get someone to do it for you if you are set on it.

Excactly!

You dont wanna risk fucking up a classic guitar like a V bro! :cry:

The tech who did my V charged £70. It would normally cost £40 but he had to make the cavity bigger for the extra battery so hence the extra dough. Bottom line is he did a 'pro' job. Ive got a Hamer Scarab mk II and Im gonna get the the same guy to fit emg's to that too.

Well, I decided that I am going to ask to do a cavity in case I'll dig the tone that much. Let the battery swing in the V's stomach for the beginning. Just to taste the tone and decide if it is worth it.