SD Custom (SH-5) experience?

DocSauerkraut

May 20, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Dear Sneapsters,
i just changed the bridge PUP in my Gibson Flying V (build in 1989), took out the EMG 81 and replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Custom (SH-5). Buying PUPs is a difficult thing since you rely on reviews, videos, etc. but in the end you don't really know how a PUP will sound with your guitar.
Well, the SH-5 had quite good reviews and the fact that Gary Holt used to play it speaks for itself. So i thought...
Bought the PUP, threw it in and... eternal disappointment!!!
In my Flying-V the SH-5 produces an overwhelming bass. Super soft, creamy and muddy.
This might be ok for some kind of vintage stoner sound but definitively not for fast shredding riffs.
I actually somehow like everything else of the SH-5, upper mids and high frequencies are great!
But I definitively can't use this PUP without a TubeScreamer to tame the bass.

Lowering the PUP height somehow improved the situation but im' still not really happy and consider going back to the EMGs.

Are any of you guys having problems with the SH-5 and it's low end?

Man, I've been an EMG guy for year, and recently I installed TB5 to one of my Jacksons. I was inspired by Gary Holt's tone too and I need to say that I'm totally happy with it. Interesting thing is that Jackson PCS King V(made in USA '94) had TB-5 from the factory, I discovered that after few months after I installed that pickup when I was looking to a catalog.

That's right, comparing to EMG81 this pickup has really many lows. Actually, that's because EMG 81 has cutted lows, so you will have such difference with most of modern pickups comparing to 81. As for SH5, it's great when you play some low tuning heavy palm mutes, and overall tone is pretty aggressive. Maybe Flying V is just not the best guitar for this pickup.

I would recommend you a EMG 57, it's a great pickup too.

I have the SH-5 in my ESP V, which is mahogany/maple. It's a monster, I love it. I've never had any of the issues you describe, TBH I'm not sure what exactly is causing that problem for you.

I like that pickup but is very guitar/rig dependent. It can be very boomy as you described. The midrange is preety awesome, i like it way better than the very icepicky sh-6.

Have you turned down on the bass knob? You can't have same amount of bass as with a emg. Or have you and discovered it starts to sound thin if you do? I've gone thru differen pup's and like already said some won't work with well with some guitars and you never know before you try. I've been dissapointed with some too and had listened to others use them and they sounded killer but not for me. That's how it is. Sell it and try something else.

I like that pickup but is very guitar/rig dependent. It can be very boomy as you described. The midrange is preety awesome, i like it way better than the very icepicky sh-6.
I know that's a truth for some. But in my Schecter it sounds really good and no harsh treble. Tried a Nazgul before and it was icepicky so sold it.