Seymour duncan 7-string pickups

EffigyForgotten

New Metal Member
May 22, 2012
Minas Morgul
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFO9phrDBig&feature=g-u[/ame]

I much prefer this video/song over Keith's first pickup comparison video, and I gotta say my favorite is the custom, its like the distortion except it sounds clearer and tighter, just listen to the pickup at 4:00. I like the full shred but it seems to polite and is a little to clear with not enough mids, doesn't have the punch the other two have.

The other pickups pretty much sound like shit in comparison imo, especially the blackouts.

What do you guys prefer? I'm definitely getting a SH-5 for my custom Carvin i'm ordering soon, don't know if I should go for the 59 or jazz in the neck though.

Actually, I must confess that I posted above before watching the vid, and now that I have, I can't help but prefer the mid focus of the Distortion after recognizing the somewhat scooped sound of the Custom that I haven't been too crazy about (wasn't sure which aspect of my rig was contributing to it); I guess lowering the pickup more would cut down on the Disto's harshness...

Actually, I must confess that I posted above before watching the vid, and now that I have, I can't help but prefer the mid focus of the Distortion after recognizing the somewhat scooped sound of the Custom that I haven't been too crazy about (wasn't sure which aspect of my rig was contributing to it); I guess lowering the pickup more would cut down on the Disto's harshness...

The custom sounds MORE middy to me, sounds more "djenty"

Well "mids" of course refers to a pretty substantial slice of the spectrum; I agree with your djenty description, though I would say it comes from the combination of prominent upper mids (~2k) and scooped core mids (~1k)

Well "mids" of course refers to a pretty substantial slice of the spectrum; I agree with your djenty description, though I would say it comes from the combination of prominent upper mids (~2k) and scooped core mids (~1k)

So you think the distortion has more lower mids? I'm ordering a custom carvin and I don't know if I should do a ash body or mahogany, i'm not really sure what the distortion or custom would sound better in.

Having thoughts on changing my Seymour Duncan Blackouts to SD SH 14 on my 7string schecter blackjack.

Any thoughts. Is it right or wrong?

I'm after the Ola Englund sound and in my opinion the blackouts are just to much.

What do you guys think ? Is it the right way to go ?