CLIPS: pickups, guitars, ...

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
Just played a wee riff on some of my guitars to get a rough overview about the specific qualities (again).

thought you might be interested.

ESP MI Body:Alder Neck:Maple/thru Pup:EMG81

ESP MII Body:Alder Neck:Maple/Bolt Pup:EMG81

Jackson SL-1 Body:Alder Neck:maple/thru Pup:EMG81

Jackson KV2 Body:Alder Neck:Maple/thru Pup: Duncan Custom SH-5

Robin1 Body:Swampash Neck:Meaple/bolt Pup:EMG85

Robin2 Body:Swampash Neck:Maple/bolt Pup:Rio Grande Muy Grande

Dean v79 (FS) Body: Mahogany Neck:Mahogany/set Pup: Duncan Dimebucker

I know the sounds arent the best ones and different guitars would have needed different amp-settings etc..
all I did change though was lvl on the TS (12:00 for actives, 2:00 for passives)

all EMGs are 18v

feel free to guess the amp if you like ;)

some guits have older strings (like the Robin1 for ex)....but still this gives a rough overview over the differences...

as I said, these clips are not telling much about "how good" a guitar is, just about some obvious differences in sound (there are way more like playing, versatility etc)...it does not make sense to judge like "I like JAckson better than ESP" since to really show the qualities of each guitar I'd have had to set the amp differently (that goes especially for the robins)

Seems to me there's more difference between the pickups than the guitars. All the EMG81s are cleaner in the low/lowmid area, although maybe at the expense of body and fullness. Robin2 stands out nicely.

Well, I do feel that the non-alder guitars sound more massive but it may be either the fact that they don't have 81s or that I know what wood they are made of and expect to hear that difference.

Well, I do feel that the non-alder guitars sound more massive but it may be either the fact that they don't have 81s or that I know what wood they are made of and expect to hear that difference.
Yeah, I love SwampAsh for bodies!
the differences between guitars are way bigger than the ones between pups IMO...
it just happens, that all my 81 equipped guitars have the same body/neck woods. still it's nice to see, that 2 guitars can sound quite different although construction, wood and pups are tthe same (SL-1 and MI)

53Crëw;6987194 said:
thanks for posting these. Are they "raw" tracks, or did you do any EQ, etc.?

totally raw, yes.

ADDITION:
forgot to mention:
ESP MI and MII have Schaller floyds,
Robin1: Kahler Floyd
Jackson: OFR both
Robin2 and Dean: string thru