Revalver III clips and Wagner comparison

Fifth_Horseman

Watch out, it's sharp!
Sep 21, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Visit site
I got the Revalver III demo yesterday and did some comparison clips today between the Revalver JSX, 6505+ and Flathill (Mesa), as well as my standard Wagner sharp settings.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=827865

It's a 17 second snippet from my band's selfproduced album. Unfortunately we haven't recorded the bass yet. Drums are dry except for kick sample.

Guitars are quad-tracked, ampsims are pure amp modules without any stomp box, no post-processing at all.
Input voltage on Revalver clips is 1.068 Volt.
Impulse for all clips is GuitarHack's JJ BBAE-half (still my favourite impulse).

The incoming lead at the end of the clips is all POD 2.3 which we used for monitoring.

Guitar chain: Jackson Soloist Archtop Pro (Duncan Distortion) -> Countryman Type 85 DI -> Focusrite Saffire

Since I'm a guitarist and not an audio engineer, I don't have any clue about mixing and only little clue about dialing in an ampsim.
Therefore you can take these clips as an example of what the "average Joe" will get out of Revalver III after one day. :loco:

EDIT: Another JSX clip uploaded (EL34Lively)... this one comes close to the Flathill clip soundwise.

I have a question for you. Do you have the saffire pro, and if so do you really need the countryman in front as a D.I. ? Thanks Oh I think the flathill sounds the best

No, it's a standard Saffire.
The instrument inputs do work pretty well but seem to capture more lows and less highs than the Countryman DI.

They are also pretty hot. I can't record bass direct to the instrument inputs because even with the Gain knob at zero it's overloading the input. Of course I can switch the input to line level, but then I think I'm back at the typical level mismatch.
Now I don't know how hot the preamps in the Saffire Pro are. But I like my Countryman anyways, it sounds great and I use the signal splitting all the time. So I don't regret getting it at all.

Uh, settings... ya know I couldn't save them...
I have only written down the JSX settings because I liked them the most, and only noticed afterwards that the Flathill also worked quite well in the mix.

JSX settings:
Ultra channel
Resonance: 10
Master: 10
Treble: 6
Mid: 4
Bass: 8
Vol: 5
Gain: 4
Fat switch off

I know that the 6505+ settings were pretty much untouched (all knobs at noon, like when you load it up) except for the gain and input voltage and maybe presence at 6-7. However with more tweaking it probably would have sounded better, I'm only starting to get the hang of it.

Same for the Flathill, here I did minor tweaks to the EQ and adjusted the gain to taste until it sounded good quad-tracked.

I'm sending all 4 DI tracks to a group channel with only one instance of Revalver III running (you have to switch the amp modules to stereo processing). This way I can't mix different sounds, but this enables me to listen to the tracks in real time without overloading the CPU. In the past (with Wagner) I always had to do a mixdown to be able to listen to what I actually did...

Ok guys, I just added another JSX clip to the soundclick page (EL34Lively). I tried to match the tone of the Flathill clip via some internal tube tweaking in Revalver (stumbled across it more or less by accident).

This might be very interesting for those who are wondering if the full version (which contains the Flathill) is worth the higher price compared to the HP version (which contains only the Peavey amps).