Gig Review: Into Eternity/Kataklysm 09/12/2003

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
First Set: Divinity

They had bad sound, but it was alright. For some reason I was an asshole and bashed them earlier in this review (I blame it on the alcohol), but I changed my mind, and decided I they're actually alright.

Please don't kill me, I'm sorry for any insults I may have given.

Second Set: Section VIII

Section VIII was a much better listen than Divinity. The mulleted mustached guitar player was hilariously close in appearence to Reuben's initial character sketch of Steve for MetalhedZ. The singer was obviously influenced by Nile and proudly declared so by wearing a Nile T-shirt. Axework was excellent as well, but as I recall, the riffs weren't especially memorable, but they have a CD coming out soon, and they do appear to have potential. I'll look in Unrestrained or BWBK for a review sometime soon.

\m/ \m/ \m/ of \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ (3 of 5)

Third Set: Into Eternity

Simply put: A great set of melodic death metal. It was simply a superb execution of riffs, mixed vocals (everyone except the drummer lends to the vox), and precision axework. Incredible show. Near the end I was compelled to venture into the pit to get a better view of the Guitar player wearing the Morbid Angel T-shirt that looked like Kerry King, but played a fuckton better.
I was throughly blown away.
Altogether: \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ of \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ (5/5)

Excellent live set through and through, even if I didn't know any of the material.

Headliner: KATAKLYSM

I was in the pit and up front for the whole set. Fucking brutality. The words of the intro echo in my mind "Ultimately, we are all dead men..." that and the (affectionately refered to as) drunken Mexican told it to me first before the set started. He was having a good time. I didn't know any Kataklysm songs prior to that evening but I had a fucking blast anyway, plus I picked up their CD "Shadows & Dust" at the merch counter for only $15 bucks. I highly recommend it for some great not-gay-like-soilwork-but-easier-to-listen-to-than-Nile brutal death metal. It was fun. Most memorable part of the show outside of the "Rock Star" stint with the drunk mexican was their live rendition of "Where the Enemy Sleeps". All in all, if Kataklysm came back to town, I would put all other arrangements short of confirmed plans to get laid to get to the show. And that last part is still debatable... Is a deathmetal show better than sex? It very well might be.

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ of \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ (5/5)

Editing reasons: Personal Insults that I threw out for no reason to people I don't know. (I blame it on the alcohol consumption, and I wrote this immediately after seeing the show)

okay, im listening to this Divinity song on knuckletracks... ive reconsidered... they just suck live. I was under the impression they were trying to be Death metal, not black metal.

Its good.

I hereby retract my comment on the music sucking.

Divinity:
I can handle the amount of screaming in the 3 songs I downloaded..
I heard they are a great live band actually, but of course I haven't been able to hear for myself yet. Nicodemix, what was that with the last post... death metal? black metal??? Don't know what you are saying with that but this band plays some kick ass (progressive) thrash, I'd say!

Nuff said about IE and K.... they are awesome! :headbang:

Russ, I remember something about you being called Mexican - you weren't at this Edmonton gig, were you??

I'm sorry... I've had awhile to think about this and I really was unfair to Divinty in my review. Please accept my apologies. I am an asshole.

EDIT

See you all at the Into Eternity CD release at Stars this Feb.

Oh, and the bass player looked fucking gay when he sang his parts (no offence dude, but you do).
Is that your picture on your avatar? So dude no offence but you looking fucking gay too.

at least you gave the band a review they deserved.

Bear