Girl Encourages Voting; Provokes Me

We also both get accused of being elitists, want to help me develop a solution for those people who criticize my dreaming? Hopefully, it will make things final.

well i mean, you're talking about rebellion but... other than not voting what the hell would you do? / have you done?

But the problem of getting that idea across still exists, and I think it is almost impossible to do that independently of the established system, with perhaps a few rare exceptions, and even then you're talking more about a military coup than a legally effective and rational change on any significant level. What that leaves is the option of working within the system itself to (hopefully) enact some sort of change. I'm not saying it is any easier than the former, but at least it is more realistic. So basically, ignoring the system is fine and dandy as a matter of principle or lack of motivation or whatever, but it's not really a convincing means of making any progress or change, no matter how great the new idea one has might be.

well i mean some sort of act of protest is possible outside a system. definitely.
but an anonymous one like not voting has no effect really on anyone consciously.

minxnim said:
well i mean some sort of act of protest is possible outside a system. definitely.
but an anonymous one like not voting has no effect really on anyone consciously.
Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I'm saying. I have no problem with people not voting (I didn't vote, but it was more an issue of not wanting to drive 2 hours home and 2 more back yesterday when I knew a) Bush would win Virginia regardless of how I voted, b) Goodlatte was running unopposed for the House, and c) everybody always votes 'yes' on those proposals they put on there anyway, like the one about setting up a chain for the replacement of the Governor if he is unable to hold his office). I just don't think there's any room for those who don't vote to claim to be doing it for any reason other than laziness, apathy, or whatever else. I know Nils well enough to know that he's mostly joking when he claims that not voting is an effective way of creating change, and I understand the frustration that it stems from.

minxnim said:
i mean it's pretty obvious he's no revolutionary idealist so... i already guessed that. haha
The scary part is, though, that I have a feeling that if he were given a chance to actually make decisions for our nation, we'd all be in very big trouble.

I used to think similarly to Nils and refused to vote in 1996 because both Clinton and Dole were irredeemably evil.

Now, I'm kind of embarassed by my naivete and I can only wish Nils well on his eventual journey of discovery of why he should vote.