Girl With Allergy Dies After Kiss

thraxx

You'll Be in Hell With ME
Nov 23, 2002
www.anthrax.com
Girl With Allergy Dies After Kiss
Teen's Boyfriend Had Eaten a Peanut Butter Snack

SAGUENAY, Quebec (Nov. 28) - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.
news_frame_object_top_left
news_frame_object_top_right
Talk About It: Post Thoughts
More Odd News: Strange but True
news_frame_object_bottom_left
news_frame_object_bottom_right
Christina Desforges died in a Quebec hospital Wednesday after doctors were unable to treat her allergic reaction to the kiss the previous weekend.
Desforges, who lived in Saguenay, about 155 miles north of Quebec City, was almost immediately given a shot of adrenaline, a standard tool for treating the anaphylactic shock brought on by a peanut allergy, officials said.
An autopsy was being performed. Dr. Nina Verreault, an allergist at the Chicoutimi Hospital in Saguenay, declined to comment on the case.
news_frame_object_top_left
news_frame_object_top_right
About 1.5 million Americans are severely allergic to even the smallest trace of peanuts.

news_frame_object_bottom_left
news_frame_object_bottom_right
The symptoms of peanut allergy can include hives, plunging blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat, which can block breathing.
Peanut allergies have been rising in recent decades. The reason remains unclear but one study found that baby creams or lotions with peanut oil may cause children to develop allergies later in life.
About 1.5 million Americans are severely allergic to even the smallest trace of peanuts and peanut allergies account for 50 to 100 deaths in the United States each year. Canadian figures were not immediately available.

11-28-05 14:20 EST

How sad. Its horrible for the family that the girl passed away but I couldn't imagine being the boyfriend who will live with that guilt for a long time. Even if he knew she was allergic to peanuts it probably didn't even dawn on him what could happen. My husband and I were discussing recently how there is such a rise in peanut allergies. Growing up you never heard of it. Everyone had a PB&J sandwich. It will be interesting to see if they ever figure out the definitive cause.

eighteeschick said:
How sad. Its horrible for the family that the girl passed away but I couldn't imagine being the boyfriend who will live with that guilt for a long time. Even if he knew she was allergic to peanuts it probably didn't even dawn on him what could happen. My husband and I were discussing recently how there is such a rise in peanut allergies. Growing up you never heard of it. Everyone had a PB&J sandwich. It will be interesting to see if they ever figure out the definitive cause.
I heard on the news that alot more people are becoming allergic to peanuts due to the fact that more parents are feeding their infants solid foods before the babys immune system can fully develop.

eighteeschick said:

When I read about it I thought the same, poor guy. Some people who are allergic to nuts can´t even go to the supermarket.

I´m so happy I don´t have any allergies. Like you wrote, 40 years ago allergies were rare now more than half of the population are allergic or over-sensitive to something. It´s scary.

That sucks, peanut allergies suck! My best friends girlfriend has one and has to carry her adrenaline pen with her all the time.

Slighty off the subject but i've always wondered what the hell you americans are referring to when talking about "PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY". Please tell me jelly is something different to what it is in the uk...

that's the saddest thing I've ever heard. That poor guy is going to have to live the rest of his life with guilt, and it's really not his fault.