give me fuel, gimme fire give me the white noise that i desire!!

Phase switch???? Damnit! I had no idea about it... i just found it on every track... and itsthe little bloody orange button... Cheers guys, hoping that'll sort the problem! Learn something everyday on here eh?!

Banish him back to the duncans ^ :D :D :D

Well, im trying the phase switch- and not really any results for me. As far as I see, i should here almost silence through the headphones when one is out of phase and one is in phase? Instead im just hearing the sound of unplugged guitar cable, getting louder for both mics the closer they are.. Wrong?

Kev

kev said:
Banish him back to the duncans ^ :D :D :D

Well, im trying the phase switch- and not really any results for me. As far as I see, i should here almost silence through the headphones when one is out of phase and one is in phase? Instead im just hearing the sound of unplugged guitar cable, getting louder for both mics the closer they are.. Wrong?

Kev

OK, I think you need to do some reading on phase and general microphone technique. Just inverting the phase by 180 degrees wont provide any cancellation when using this technique.

I'm sure a quick google search will reveal some good articles on the subject but if you are serious about engineering I recommend the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F.Alton Everest and "Sound Recording Practice" by John Borwick.

Daunt said:
1. Match the levels (on/off axis channels)
2. Unplug the cable from your guitar. You should get loads of noise.
3. Monitor both channels through your DAW or mixer (make sure they are both panned center)
4. Flip the phase on off axis channel
5. Put your headphones on and move the off axis mic until you find the spot where most of the noise gets canceled away

Will the ethod work with 2 different dynamic mics?

Razorjack said:
OK, I think you need to do some reading on phase and general microphone technique. Just inverting the phase by 180 degrees wont provide any cancellation when using this technique.

I'm sure a quick google search will reveal some good articles on the subject but if you are serious about engineering I recommend the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F.Alton Everest and "Sound Recording Practice" by John Borwick.

Grr! thanks Razorjack. At this time I'm just after a quick fix if you can help, as i only do it for fun i suppose for the time being. I just swear im being a victim of comb filtering somehow on my recorded guitars. Im getting no cancellation at all of the actual sound signal-anyone about who can put a resolution to the problem in big red writing for me :p Or perhaps phase doesnt even matter when the mics are so close as this. I dunno.

Kev