GMD Poll: Best song on Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Best song on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phylactery

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
So Pompey stopped doing these for whatever reason. I've decided to try and revive it and kick it off with a personal favourite of mine.

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem
Will I ever reach the land beyond, this is where we go when we have to die...

254.jpg

Voted number 1 for 1994 with 91 points.

You have 10 days. Cast your votes.

I'm going with Buried by Time and Dust. Super intense and Atilla's best vocal on the album probably. That middle section is one of the greatest things ever, incredibly dark and foreboding.

I'm too old now, the dark is no near...

Votes for Freezing Moon would be inexplicable to me. Easily the weakest track on the album imo.

Last edited:
Title track, with From the Dark Past and Life Eternal very close. None are less than very good.

I know DMDS well enough that I didn't bother with many comments, but here's the official objective ranking:

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - 5/5
From the Dark Past - 5/5 (0:27 Coroner-esque riff)
Life Eternal - 4.5/5
Pagan Fears - 4.5/5
Cursed in Eternity - 4.5/5
Freezing Moon - 4/5
Buried by Time and Dust - 4/5 (really intense, the "most" second-wave here)
Funeral Fog - 3.5/5 (probably the most standard black metal ala Emperor)

Reactions: Phylactery
Funeral Fog is easily better than Freezing Moon (the first minute and a half alone puts it above it and then the section at 2:47 - 3:10 puts it even further ahead). You have Buried by Time and Dust way too low! Otherwise, not a bad list.

I could have gone with the title track as well for my pick. As I've said before, those last two tracks peak so incredibly high. Lofty heights rarely reached by most metal bands. I can't think of many albums that open with the two weakest tracks and close with the two strongest.

Welcome to the elder ruins again, the wind whispers beside the deep forest, darkness will show us the way.
The sky has darkened, thirteen as we are, we are collected woeful around a book, made of human flesh!

Fucking spine chilling.

Last edited:
Nah, I don't mind. Might start another one once this poll dies down though. Already have the next one randomized. It's a death metal album from 1996.

And I'm ambivalent toward this album but I do think Freezing Moon is pretty great. Might prefer the older version with vocals by Dead though

I was planning to add them to the RYM list where I've compiled the results of the polls so far (probably missing the last couple years right now, though)

didn't we already do a song survivor for this like a year ago

edit: jesus, it was over three years ago, that's depressing. it's here btw if you're interested.

Funeral Fog is easily the worst song from this classic album. I never really liked it. I went with the title track, but Buried by Time and Dust comes really close.

All this hate for Funeral Fog is making me sad! The opening minute and a half is awesome and then it features some other great riffs throughout. And who could forget:

Fuuuuunnnerrralllll FAWG!

Fucking classic.

Having said that, it’s probably still my second least favourite track on the album.

Shocked I’m the only one that has voted for Buried by Time and Dust!

Reactions: Onder
I wanted to go with Buried by Time and Dust but then I recalled how great the title track is. The clean vocals and the pervasive atmosphere of oppression did the choosing for me.

Reactions: Onder