GMD Poll: Most Consistent (Good) Metal Bands

I was under the impression that consistency in this context refers not to quality, but to style.

The shift in style throughout Emperor's discography is certainly less pronounced than Amorphis's shift between, say, The Karelian Isthmus and Tuonela. But I'd say that the shift between Nightside and Prometheus is way more pronounced than that of almost any four consecutive Amorphis releases.

The difference between ITNE and Prometheus is far greater than that between RIP and Mental Vortex. There's something broken in Dak's head.

Or Human and TSOP.

I thought the point of this thread was to vote for the bands with the most consistently good discography. I always thought the stylistic change stuff was a bit of an odd rule to be honest.

Consistently good within a particular style. How wide or narrow that style is could be open to interpretation. Eg. the bands that introduced some different genre elements but retained a consistent mood throughout.

Not to cause a ruckus, but "consistently good" is also open to interpretation--more so than consistency of style, honestly.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say Emperor should be on the list. My choices:

1. Summoning
2. Agalloch
3. Enslaved
4. Moonsorrow
5. Nokturnal Mortum
6. Amorphis
7. Pagan Altar
8. Slough Feg
9. Amon Amarth
10. Black Sabbath

I missed out on the chance to recommend contenders, but why wasn't Candlemass included?

The difference between ITNE and Prometheus is far greater than that between RIP and Mental Vortex. There's something broken in Dak's head.

Or Human and TSOP.

I don't listen to all bands to all degrees. That was the point of other people offering a veto. I haven't listened to Emperor to the point to offer a veto. Others might have. I have listened to Death and Coroner a lot.

Pat was originally correct in that the idea is "consistently good within a style". You could be consistently bad within a style of course.

Pat was originally correct in that the idea is "consistently good within a style". You could be consistently bad within a style of course.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think I actually misunderstood. I took the fact that "good" was in parentheses--i.e. "Most Consistent (Good) Metal Bands"-- to mean that consistency referred specifically to style, not quality. The "good" seemed secondary, in other words (as in, let's vote for the most stylistically consistent metal bands whom we also happen to agree are "good").

It doesn't really affect my list at all though.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think I actually misunderstood. I took the fact that "good" was in parentheses--i.e. "Most Consistent (Good) Metal Bands"-- to mean that consistency referred specifically to style, not quality. The "good" seemed secondary, in other words (as in, let's vote for the most stylistically consistent metal bands whom we also happen to agree are "good").

It doesn't really affect my list at all though.

The latter is what I meant.

This is a lot easier to make a list for than the top albums by year threads you slackers. Go to the 1st post, pick the bands you know & think are at least somewhat consistent, and optionally rank them by how consistent. I barely did any listening for it.

Bolt Thrower
Immolation
The Chasm
Asphyx
Vader
Inquisition

Maybe? This is a tricky topic because im not sure how many albums a band has to have released to qualify, but im thinking at least 5 good albums and no more than two mediocre/bad ones.

Reactions: zerostatic
Bolt Thrower
Iron Maiden
Saint Vitus
Mgla
Sodom (you could argue that 3 of their albums represent a different style, but they're close enough to their normal sound IMO)

Not sure if it will count, but here's mine:
  1. Bolt Thrower
  2. Manilla Road
  3. Saint Vitus
  4. Slough Feg
  5. Iron Maiden
  6. Motörhead
  7. Solstice
  8. Voivod
  9. Reverend Bizarre
  10. Running Wild

Real list:

1. Saint Vitus
2. Black Sabbath (first 6)
3. Trouble (first 4)
4. Candlemass (first 4)
5. Type O Negative

Choosing from this list:

1. Saint Vitus
2. Black Sabbath
3. Type O Negative
4. Black Label Society
5. Bolt Thrower

Results for this 2018 time capsule...

9th=) Black Sabbath [15.5 points]
9th=) The Chasm [15.5 points]
7th=) Manilla Road [16 points]
7th=) Summoning [16 points]
6th) Voivod [16.5 points]
5th) Immolation [23.5 points]
4th) Vader [25.5 points]
3rd) Saint Vitus [28.5 points]
2nd) Iron Maiden [31.5 points]
1st) Bolt Thrower [46 points]

Two eggs managed to try and vote for bands not nominated (Inquisition and Mgla respectively), but I counted the rest of their lists anyway.