Go groovy or speedy??

Bassista

Eastern Europe Groover
Dec 12, 2003
this is a thema that bothers me from a long time...
Well, y'all know Steve an his style9almost guitar not bass style as some may say-no fence Steve:) but what about people like Myung ,Malone and other playing a true bass lines connecting the songs together in ,sometimes , perfect and simple ,but mostly very dynamic music .
My question is (and i think not only mine):maybe its time to review the roots ? because what i see is just copying of Steve's style or whatever ,more clones ,more technically very good music buc can we call all these shitty metal bands that without their ability of playing faster than speed of light would be nothing really?

A bassist should be able to play both ways and know where either style suits the song. Not every song calls for showy basswork so obviously not every song will have it.

Just my $.02, of course. :cool:

i think it depends on the style of music. for the stuff i'm working on, steve has too much groove. i'm trying to have it come across like a cross between a classical cello and cliff burton. the question is; why must it have groove?

I'd go for groove. Why must it have groove? Because it's *the* way to make yourself heard. Speed can be obtained by practice, groove is in the heart. I think it takes something special.
Besides that, groove is the rhythmic undertow, the heartbeat, the soul of a song. It's a thing melody can't do, so it also shows that the bassist and drummer are musically 1.

I totally disagree with the examples of groove en non-groove you mentioned. Even though it's technically quite impossible to create groove in thrash metal, I think with Steve's bass lines and Lombardo's drumming, The Gathering is the most groovy metal album I've ever heard.
Myung on the other hand is just a pile of technique with a lack of feel. Just listen to the way Tony Levin approaches similar music in Liquid Tension Experiment. I think he does way better when it comes to groove.

Well ,obviously i have some music to hear first to talk with u guys :p ,but for me The Gathering was a really what its about in metal section.Anyway look at those solos and addings on Individual... and compare them to the Gathering?Tony Levin is a killer bassist (groove offcourse) Myung- well in the end I agree ...But he's quite a performer though ,even being in the band like a session musician ,And one more thing:this is a metal forum so i shouldnt bring these names here but i thinkmetal went so much into jazz and they just fit-Pastorius & Miller ,also Stu Hamm.what about them?Because were talking about music ,do we?

Caeros said:
A bassist should be able to play both ways and know where either style suits the song. Not every song calls for showy basswork so obviously not every song will have it.

Just my $.02, of course. :cool:
------------------------------------------------
indeed,true and valuable your $.02 are:p

Well.. just take a look at my cd-list ;) click here
I'm into more than just metal :)

I don't think metal bassists come real close to the sound of Pastorius or Miller yet, but there isn't much new in playing a fusion of rock/metal and jazz. In fact, Pastorius did the same. Fusion has developed over the years and I think what started with Pastorius, can now be heard in bands like Liquid Tension Experiment or Sun Caged.

Groovy or speedy? Both!
If you like brutal music find a band Trauma - Imperfect Like A God CD.. 4me best death thing in 2003..
I don't agree that Steve plays guitar-like.. for me it's a whole well done bass playing.. fast and groovy..