Goatsnake - Trampled Under Hoof E.P.

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Goatsnake – Trampled Under Hoof E.P.
Southern Lord Recordings – 2004
By Adam McAuley

goat.jpg

Goatsnake evoke thoughts of bands like Electric Wizard and St. Vitus at their finest. The groovy, mid-paced songs the outfit perform are much welcome, as I can’t seem to get enough of the style played. Depressing but fitting lyrics are a fine complement to the music as well, for those that enjoy feeling what is being performed on a deeper level.

At only five tracks, two of which aren’t even written by the band, there isn’t really a whole of material to get attached to, but you come away with a short, but sweet, lasting impression of the songs. Ironically, St. Vitus are one of the two bands included, and the song chosen is of the standard quality you’d expect from them. Goatsnake vocalist Pete Stahl sounds suspiciously like Wino himself…lending an authenticity to the tracks. Groove is the key item on the agenda, and Goatsnake have this element covered in spades.

This is music to bang your head to, and despite the short running time, you’ll certainly get a solid chance to do just that. It’s sometimes creepy and dark, but always has a drive carrying it along to keep you addicted. The songs written by Goatsnake are certainly the best, but the other ones included are perhaps a decent diversion. Even as an E.P., the disc is a bit on the short side. I believe that the band could have excluded the track "Hot Rod" and added another one of their own to make this more complete, but we’ll just have to accept the material present for now. I look forward to hearing the band’s next full-length, as the material on here promises only good things to come in the future.

Official Southern Lord website
Official Goatsnake website

Great review. This is a solid rocker. All of the songs on it are catchy and memorable. A great introduction to the band if you've never heard them before. Go buy it!