GODSMACK's SULLY ERNA Talks Acting: 'I'm Still Young At This And Learning As I Go Alo

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
GODSMACK singer Sully Erna, who made his acting debut last year in a low-budget horror film called "Army Of The Damned", tells Artisan News that he doesn't delude himself into believing that he will automatically be treated like a superstar by the acting world. "I think any actor will tell you that there's always work to be done, and I'm certainly still young at this and learning as I go along," Erna said (see video below). "I've had an amazing acting coach along the way — Susan Batson, who's done… she does Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, and she's, like, top, top notch. And she's really helped me flush out a lot of things that I needed to kind of realize and understand a bit better. So the best experience you can get is to continue to work."He added: "I think everybody kind of looks at themselves or hears themselves for the first time on tape, and it's a little… You can critique yourself a lot more than maybe other people… Like, 'Oh, you did great.' And you're, like, 'Ah, that was a weird face I made.' So it's always a little strange at first. But I think over the years, just because of the amount of videos I've done and TV stuff, I'm just a lot more comfortable in front of a camera than maybe some people would be that don't have that experience."Erna revealed in an interview with The Rock Revival that he recently finished shooting a role in a pilot for a proposed TV series along with Drea De Matteo of "Sons Of Anarchy" and "The Sopranos" fame. Along with some potential film appearances, Erna said he hopes to continue building his acting resume. He explained, "I'm just trying to continue to get some momentum in TV and film, because I really enjoy it as well."Erna added, "It's a really fun thing. I'm just working my way up that ladder at this point and nurturing GODSMACK when that needs some attention and doing some solo stuff. The rest of my time I give to my daughter."Erna's other roles include a small part in the Martin Scorsese-produced "Bleed For This" and a lead role in the aforementioned "Army Of The Damned".Erna said the latter movie was fun to do even if it wasn't high art. "There's some good action in it, there's some good gore in it, and there's definitely a lot of little comedy bits," he said. "It was fun making it. It was a good experience, and it gave me an opportunity to take on a lead role too. So it was good to know that I could take the weight of a lead on, you know, for future projects hopefully that come up."Erna got interesting in acting after working with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Kelly Hu on the video for GODSMACK's "I Stand Alone".He recalled, "I surprisingly found myself very comfortable working out these scenes with these people that I thought would be a little bit more intimidating… From that point on I started just exploring the acting world."The singer just completed some solo dates and will return to the road with GODSMACK in 2015.

More...