Going dark.

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
I've decided to go dark for a while. No Facebook, no twitter, no reddit, no IM, no internet forums of any kind. I'm not posting this to inform you, just that it feels ... like I'm unplugging a friend or something. I don't know. I literally stared at my facebook status declaring it for 5 minutes, going back and forth on what to add to the situation for it to make sense.

I just settled on saying Going dark. Later.

Feel's weird, man. Anyway, enjoy things without me for a while. :)

Interesting post, and interesting experiment. What you didn't say was the inspiration behind this move...?

Congrats and good luck man. Maybe you will have some good conversations with friends via the telephone :)

I've been internet-less (when not at work) and TV-less since early 2009 and am completely disconnected on nights & weekends.

It can be really easy to feel like you are wasting your life away hitting refresh on your browser, and other apps.

I too would be curious to know the reason for this.
Were you spending TOO much time online, which was taking away from being productive in other areas of your life?

While I do wish Pat the best of luck in trying to control his desire of going back online, I can't help but wonder why it is that people make such a big deal over "going dark" nowadays. It's not that big of a deal! If your life depends that much on Facebook, there's something wrong there. You can live without it!

I never got the whole " I am leaving for a bit " thing. Basically it seems like someone wants attention from people. If it is a personal thing that person should just message thier close freinds and let them know. It is funny when you look and see how connected lots of people are to thier computers and Iphones. Christ, I dont even have a cell phone yet. Not that I need it since no one ever would call me so I just have a old fashion phone at my apartment. I dont think I could stay offline for more than a day since I have so many different interest I like to stay up to date and stuff. On days where I am out all day it takes forever to play catch-up, which is sad but this is now the world we live in.

good luck going dark. What ever you do dont go towards the light.

I never got the whole " I am leaving for a bit " thing. Basically it seems like someone wants attention from people. If it is a personal thing that person should just message thier close freinds and let them know. It is funny when you look and see how connected lots of people are to thier computers and Iphones. Christ, I dont even have a cell phone yet. Not that I need it since no one ever would call me so I just have a old fashion phone at my apartment. I dont think I could stay offline for more than a day since I have so many different interest I like to stay up to date and stuff. On days where I am out all day it takes forever to play catch-up, which is sad but this is now the world we live in.

good luck going dark. What ever you do dont go towards the light.

Judge much?

To those of you that think this is an attention-whoring move on Nailz' part - if this IS a bid for attention, why would he try to get attention on something he's not likely to see? If he's truly gone off the grid, he's not seeing any of this.

While I do wish Pat the best of luck in trying to control his desire of going back online, I can't help but wonder why it is that people make such a big deal over "going dark" nowadays. It's not that big of a deal! If your life depends that much on Facebook, there's something wrong there. You can live without it!

You can? * light grows brighter, choirs of angels sing hosannas *

You can!!!

:)

I wish Pat the best, here. Sometimes it's good to step away from the Net, go outside, get some fresh air and think "Woah. There's life out here beyond { the Forum | WoW | Castle Age | Facebook | Twittter | whatever } !"

Is it that hard to leave your politics out of things?
I was gonna say the same thing, regardless of which side of the fence you're in.

Concur. Advocating for the death of anyone, including a politician (no matter how much you hate him or her), pretty much just puts you right back down in the dirt with the rest of the bottom-feeders.