Going for a huge sound, need some help with it!

MF_Kitten

Cat lover/Baritone fetish
Oct 10, 2009
I´m going back to the old DFHS to improve my EQ/compression skills a bit. i can´t get the snare to sound the way i want (though i think i´ll change the snare sample later on).

edit: i changed the snare sample, and WHAT A RELIEF! it sounds much better! i´ve relaxed the master track EQ and stuff, so it has less low end and more balance. clip has been updated.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8201500

i know this mixdown has way too much low end, which i´ll fix in my next go. the synth is there just to provide something slow in the background (layered guitars will go there instead later). it also has fake bass (i´m getting a bass later).

so all in all, what do i need to do to my sound here? any critique you can pick out when listening to this, just throw it at me! my ears are deceiving me from having listened too much, so i need people to tell me what i´m doing wrong (aside from too much bass :rolleyes:)

thanks! (also, first post over here, so yay for me)

yeah, it´s a really old riff from a band i had going on back when i discovered low notes :p
i chose it because it sounds huge, and so it´s perfect to try out the sound, ya know? i´m still planning on using the riff itself, but i´m planning on taking it away from the dry meshuggah-like setting, and using lots of layered guitar parts and lead parts to integrate the riff. it´s the focus on the low notes/groove that makes it sound so meshuggah-like, really.

so aside from the actual riff itself, what can i do to "alleviate" the snare drum issue and all that jazz?

To my surprise, I didn't see you mentioning any of the gear you've used for the guitars, and I can't see anybody who has asked so here goes:

What guitar did you use, what pickup, what tuning and what amp(sim)? Cheers =)

my bad, didn´t cross my mind! :p

the guitar is an Agile Intrepid Pro 8 string with 30" scale lenght and a Bare Knuckle Pickups Painkiller in the bridge position, tuned to drop E. the amp sim is pod X3L.

the drums are DFHS, as i mentioned, and i record using Logic Studio 8.

Holy freakin' crap! Well, that explains the amount of clarity you've got even though you've got a ridiculously low tuning :)

Sounds like it's time for me to look into a baritone guitar... not necessarily an 8 string though, but I definately need a baritone.

28" 6 string sounds like a good guitar for me... I'm not really a guitarist, I just play it because I "have to", otherwise I can't write songs and stuff. So because of that, I don't really care too much about all the small details about what guitar I'm using, but I'm beginning to feel more and more that I need a longer scale. Simply tuning down a normal scale guitar doesn't cut it anymore for me... it doesn't get that growl to it.

It's cool that you live in Norway, I'd be willing to buy it unless I find something interesting from around here too. I'd rather want to sell my LTD MH-250 NT (EMG81 in bridge) before buying anything new though :) But if you're selling it... you can always drop me a PM with more info and maybe some pictures and we'll see what happens after that.

i have a buddy that really wants it, so i´m probably selling it to him. you should go check out rondomusic.com though, i think they still have some available baritones in the same series as the one i have. they have baritone guitars, anyways :D