gojira and logan mader

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
seriously, this is one of the best sounding metal records ever. it's pretty much perfect in every category. it's super dirty but super clean and well separated. it's super heavy and has great low end and overall bass. the drums don't sound overly clicky or triggered, yet they have the consistency and clarity of modern techniques. it's like... perfect. by dictionary definition.

considering he hasn't done a ton of other work and is pretty new to the "big leagues" it's really crazy that he just kind of came out of nowhere and delivered this masterpiece. he really doesn't get enough credit for his work. maybe the stars aligned and he got super lucky with this one project i don't know about his past, or fuutre, or whatever, but i do know this is an amazing sounding album.

I've been wondering for a while how much of this sound came from the mastering. From a mastering POV, this album is pretty much 'it'. The low-end is balanced and even, the high-end is present but not abrasive. You could argue that there isn't much sub-bass compared to other landmark clinical mixes like STD, but that could've been an active choice.

Mix-wise it's quite an achievement. The whole thing is very separated and thin sounding, fits together with minimum overlap and as such sounds very clean. It's about the apex of what can be striven for in the digital realm.

yeah ermin i mean it's really like i said before... perfect and dead on.

the guitars don't have a ton of low end but they are super heavy, the bass doesn't have a ton of low end but it's really meaty, the kick isn't overly clicky OR bassy but it pops out and really solid in its low end. the overheads are clear as day and very crunchy but they aren't abrasive. it's very bright but it's not piercing. it;s like every single frequency is perfect. every element of the mix has all the bad taken out and every good optimized.

I'd love to know more about any process of the making of that record. He mastered it as well, so like Ermin said, I'd be interested to know how much of his sound is achieved through mastering.

This guy is insane, I love his mixes, especially drums, he always get them very upfront and punchy, still retaining clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Gojira albums always have a cool thing going on but I'm a big fan of The Link. There's something more unique, distinctive, and of course massive about it. Laurent dosen't get enough credit

This guy is insane, I love his mixes, especially drums, he always get them very upfront and punchy, still retaining clarity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW7Ah4GGtVo

it's a good mix and all but they are just tooo obviously drum samples. it's almost too clear and separated where the samples come out. at least gojira is more tastefully dirty and gelled together as a mix. this one is like super wide and super separated in a good way but the drums just sound super sampled.

I think Gojira albums always have a cool thing going on but I'm a big fan of The Link. There's something more unique, distinctive, and of course massive about it. Laurent dosen't get enough credit

I find that album almost painful to listen to because of the production, but each to their own