Gold badge suggestion for next year

tenebre

Jan 8, 2002
st. louis
www.suspiriaworks.com
for glenn and anyone who cares to read.

It seams that the gold badges do not offer much this year.

Becasue I enjoy and want to be in the front, I need to buy a gold badge. This then allows me the proveledge of arriving and waiting in line for 6+ hours and then standing for the entire show in order to see the last bands.

Now even getting there early poses no garauntee of being in the front, as last year the late comer gold badge holders went to a different door and managed to get roughly the same place as the early birds. Not to mention several people "hold" places in line for 6+ people or just casually walk up to the front of the line, and no one says anything to avoid a fight breaking out.

OK, so far for having a gold badge all I get is the possibility of getting in the front as long as I am willing to wait forever.
So since teh GB are approximately 30% more than regular tickets, why not have the front section roped for maybe 3 rows worht of people jsut for GB holders, and do the same for the seated area?

Or maybe even have a special section for GB holder to sit in and watch a sound check or something?

The roped area at the pre-party is an nice idea, but may not be all the special since most of the bands will porabably go out of the area to meet fans anyway.

It seems that as it stands the only advantage to getting a GB is that you have the opportunity to wait for 6 hours to be in the very front(which at PP2 and 3 were fileld with the same 12 people ). But if you jsut get a regular ticket you could show up at 5 and be in the second row anyway.

Anyone have other suggestions to make GB more special(worth the extra cost)?

Glenn - what is your opnion?

Thanks for the critique. I'm sorry that you do not feel the price is worth it. The purpose of the gold badge is allow you to "skip" waiting in line. You can show up five minutes before doors open for the gold badge members and go in an hour before the other 800 people get in. During that time, you get your front row spot.

The other major perk is that you are assured of a ticket next year. I know that you specifically were disappointed in the lineup this year so that dictates how you feel about the perks this year. However, I may put together a roster next year that has you jumping for joy and you will be happy to have a ticket.

This thing did sell-out once again. People tend to forget that there are a large number of people that cannot get tickets and do not scour ebay or the forum looking for that occassional ticket to pop up.

Finally, the money from the gold badge is what allows me to do this festival. Most supporters are proud to help me out and realize that I cannot do this alone.

In summary, I'm doing the best I can. I am not Clear Channel.

Glenn H.

Glenn,

You misunderstand alittle bit.

I actually get the GB becasue I know it helps you be able to book the show. since out of pocket is brutal! :)

I wish i could show up 5 minutes before the show and get front row though :-( unfortunately it isnt so. Look at the 20 or so people waiting outside by 11am and all of them are GB holders. I know its our choice. But im short so if I'm not in the front i cant see crap :)

Like i said I was trying to think of somehting to make teh "perks" a bit better. While i loved last years line-up, the GB perk doesnt hold anything for those of us that want to be in the front, since we have to wait longer than even those people w/o GBs.

Does that make any sense at all???

not sure how this comes across, but I am NOT angry and not bitching, actually just discussing

Thanks for the clearing that up. I will always strive to improve the festival including the gold badges. I will indeed see what I can do for the future.

As for having a gold badge and showing up that early, I'm not sure if that is dedication or just plain psycho. :)

Glenn

Hey - just want to check to see if anything has changed last year. I went to PP2 but missed PP3 - from what I remember of 2, the floor was pretty much always open for anyone who wanted to come and go (addmitedly filling up for sure - but there weren't any 'roped off' sections or anything like that. Is this still true?

Just a regular ticket holder so just askin'.

tenebre said:
Burke:

there are no roped off sections.

Thats what i was talking about. GB holders really dont get anything other than the satisfaction of supporting the festival.

yeah, i agree, the 'perks' are not that perky other than knowing that our money allowed Rage and Nightwish etc. to come and play for the first time in America.

How about the 'raffles' of autographed stuff we were going to have for GB members last year. any chance of that for this year?

And as for rope. i can bring some....

tenebre said:
I was in the front row at Wacken BOTH days all DAY for every band I saw in 2000 :)

so yeah a little psycho..

Just a little? I'd say you may want to start holding weekly conversations that involve someone sitting in a chair taking notes and you lying on a couch talking about your childhood.

Last year, I walked right down into the second row for Gamma Ray's set, shortly after Devin Townsend wrapped up his set. So, I spent the time from when the doors opened until the 3rd band finished, mingling, CD shopping, bouncing between seats and the floor, and enjoying all aspects of the festival, while you were pressed up against the stage for four hours. And when all was said and done, you were roughly 18 inches closer than me. The point being, if you're spending the entire night pressed up against the stage, than you're missing out on a lot of what makes this festival great.

GZ

Hell, in 01 I walked up to the front before Symphony X's set and just squished right in. No waiting necessary for front row, crowd notwithstanding.

On the other hand, I'm a girl. I can generally get away with these things...

Hey Glenn, fuck Clear Channel...we're glad you're your own man. Just keep going the way you're going, man, and God bless ya!

Clear Channel...(shiver)...just makes me cringe...(ooohh).

Bad juju!

Last year I was able to walk up to the stage and stand at about the 3rd row at any time. Of couse, I'm 6'3, so I can get away with these things and still see :)

Steve