good atmospheric rock/metal

i dont really find those bands too interesting myself, so i cant make a comparison to them. but some "atmospheric" rock/metal i do enjoy is:

Sigur Ros
Ulver
Agalloch
No-Man
Katatonia

among others.

Godspeed! You Black Emperor
A Silver Mount Zion
Isis
Pelican
Kayo Dot is quite interesting, although it's not exactly atmospheric rock/metal
Elend is also really good, nothing close resembling metal or rock. Symphonic evil music :p

if you like Dredg, try Koma - Tsunami.
From postrock - definitely Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor! (Slow Riot mcd would be a good start), Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, Silver Mt.Zion..... Lanterna is also pretty cool, w/ dreamy atmosphere (Katatonia fans should check out the song B Minor from sophomore Elm Street)
From slow core - Isis, Pelican.... The Ocean are also kinda cool.
From 'shoegazing' pop or whatever, try Slowdive (every goddamn thing from them), Sigur Ros, or more rock-based The Loveless.
Wish you good hunt......

Novembre has been labeled as death/atmospheric metal, and has been together in tour with Opeth and Katatonia previously. I wish I did know all these bands before, so I wouldn't miss their show. Anyway, novembre!

Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Deftones - White Pony (I'm not much of a Deftones fan, but I love the atmosphere of this one)
Radiohead - OK Computer
Larry Coryell - Spaces Revisited (not rock, but I enjoy this album)
Tool - Lateralus

Summoning, Agalloch, Katatonia, Ulver,
I recently heard Sigur Ros and no-man...great music right there.
I'd say some of the earlier King Crimson stuff is very amospheric notably "Epitaph" from the first album and the title track from in the wake of poseidon.

Agreed on the Ulver and Agalloch recommendations.

I always thought there was a lot of atmosphere in some of the early black metal releases. It may not be your thing, but as far as atmosphere goes, I realy enjoy Burzum and Abyssic Hate (they're both quite similar).

Mr. Wall said:
Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

I got this disc a week ago and it's holding me hostage! It's rare for me to get addicted to one disc like this and thankfully my wife likes it also!

This is one amazing disc and comes highly recommended!

I too got the Mars Volta album recently, and man is it good! its like syd barret floyd mixed with steve howe fill riffs crossed with an overall led zeppelin aproach...i couldnt be happier with this retro sounding modern band. i recommend it to everyone.