good cheap digital 8-tracks or the like?

xAzagthothx

likes jambands, too
Sep 8, 2009
hey eveyrone, i'm looking into investing in some basic recording setup for my band, to record our live stuff via our PA system.

basically, what I want to do is have all of our instruments/vocals going through our powered mixer and then using the speaker outputs to the inputs on a recording unit. would that work? or like, use the stereo outputs or something (i think it has those)

basically I just want to make double use of all of our mics: by micing them up so that we can use our PA for rehearsal/shows, and then use those mics to capture stuff to tape/digital. Does that make sense?

like, my main idea was, as i said, to use stereo speaker outputs and just doing stereo 2 track recordings, just basic basic stuff so we can record rehearsals, mainly.

thanks guys. sorry, i'm mad tired, if this is confusing. haha

Dude....your options are wide open! If your looking for budget friendly ideas, you can pick up a used digi001 on Ebay for $100 to $200. If you're going to do board mixes, you can pick up a used Adat on the bay for around the same price. There are a lot of 8 track units new from Tascam, Fostex and the like for a little more money. Pick your poison. :headbang:

powered mixer [...] speaker outputs [..] inputs on a recording unit

Dude, BAAAAD idea!
Those speaker outputs are meant to be connected to speakers, there's a lot of juice coming out there... If you connect them to a recording unit it'll probably just fry :ill:

However, if your mixer has line-outs you could do what you described.
(Although you'd benefit more from a multitrack recorder actually using all the inputs, and then taking a stereo out from there into the PA system. This way you can rock live and at the same time record the performance, and actually mix it a bit afterwards [I'm saying "a bit" here because to actually mix drums and guitars and vox and shit you'd need more than 8 channels, but you could have a stereo mixdown of the drums, 2 guitars, bass, vox and maybe some synth or whatever])