Recording drums directly to stereo, or alternatives?

The few times I've been forced to record drums in stereo (or even with a single mic over top of the kit) I've managed convincing results using the filters in kt_drumtrigger to process only the low end frequencies (to sample replace the kick) and then another peaking filter somewhere in the midrange to replace the snare. After rendering the samples and aligning them to account for latency the results are fairly convincing. Slap a compressor on the Drum buss for some glue and plow onward.

The biggest problem I think you'll have is eliminating the inherent "boxiness" that comes from what essentially amounts to using only room mics. This can be EQed out and depending on your room it might not even be an issue.

This sounds interesting, hadn´t thought about it. When you´ve done this, have you done two overheads like you normally would record a drumkit, or done something special like recorderman method?

Either way will work Recorderman will get you a tighter sound and will be easier to sample replace by frequency, but overheads will give you a lot more of the cymbals and probably a better stereo field if you hard pan them.

Today I recorded drums straight to stereo using a desk. The guys just wanted drums recorded and mixed and they're doing the rest themselves onto a hard drive recorder so i figured I'd skip the computer and do it all with the desk.

Worked out great, I used an Allen and Heath gl2200. I gated the kick and compressed it on the way in using my LA audio 4X4. Did the same with the snare top and gated the 2 rack toms with drawmer gates.
I sent the kick and snr to a bus which I compressed with a Dbx160xt and then used my RNC on the stereo out of the desk.
Worked great, i used the natural verb of the room using the room mics and eq'd as I felt stuff needed it.

I was really happy with it and it was liberating to commit to everything with no going back.

if you didnt live so far, i'd let you use my interface =\. i would say just overheads, and sample everything. or, you could do it where you record only the cymbal hits, put some drum pads over the heads, and then record the rest of the song with kit, without cymbals, later. i have known some productions where that comes out cleaner sounding.

if you didnt live so far, i'd let you use my interface =. i would say just overheads, and sample everything. or, you could do it where you record only the cymbal hits, put some drum pads over the heads, and then record the rest of the song with kit, without cymbals, later. i have known some productions where that comes out cleaner sounding.

Small bumpsies! I´m doing this on Thursday, gonna do the recorderman method and if necessary I´ll try filtering to replace the drums, gonna record samples of all the drums before recording so I can use them as backup.

Rich, how far are we? Hahaha I appreciate the offer, thanks :kickass: