Good cheap drum mike set

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

Couldn't find here some informations about cheap mike sets, I'd be glad if you could throw me a link or answer directly.

I would be interested in a 5 pieces kit (I already own 2 SM57) that would sound decent, in the cheap range of prices. Do you recommend any ?

I currently own the Samson 8kit drum mic package(don't make fun of me). They do a good enough job for me but you will probably need to EQ and such as I do. It comes with a kick mic, snare mic, three tom mics, two LDC overheads, and a SDC for hats or ride. I have been able to get pretty decent sounds without replacing, so I would imagine that if you were planning on replacing drum then that would be great for you. I believe it was about $350 when I bought it. My only complaint really is that I'd like a little more end from the kick, but as previously stated, if you were going to replace drums(which I don't) then that would be an excellent option for you, especially since you already have two 57s

Red 5 stuff is good for the money, though you'd be better off with SM57's as they'll last forever (though at the same price point I MUCH prefer Audix I5's for drum duties) where as you'll want to replace the Red 5 stuff later down the line,

Red 5 seems interesting to start recording occasionnaly some drums.

I'd like to buy more SM57, but the budget is not the same. And I don't need more than 2 sm57.

BTW, I already own 1 SM58 and 2 SM57.

What about :
- using the SM58 as a kick mike, because I usually prefer to 100% replace the kick
- buying 2 SM57 to have 4 of them (sn + 3 toms)
- buying a decent pair of overheads
It's still more expensive than the Red5, but it may be a more intelligent option ?

Yes it's a more intelligent option. Don't mess around with the cheap sets... You get what you pay for. Sure, you will pay a bit more for some shures, but you know they are great mics and will last a lifetime.

Sure, you will pay a bit more for some shures, but you know they are great mics and will last a lifetime.
This.

Oublie les packs économiques, c'est de la merde que tu voudras changer tôt ou tard.
(a la limite d'occase, tu peux encore trouver le pack sennheiser avec les 604/602, c'est correct)
Tu peux aussi acheter un trigger pour le kick, 1 57 pour en avoir trois sur les toms et mettre le 58 sur la caisse claire (pas idéal mais ça marche).
Pour les OH, tout dépend de ton budget évidemment.

@BURNY : Hey, je ne savais pas que tu étais français. Tu es d'où ? :)

Well, I just didn't know how cheap was a ddrum trigger unit. This seems to be the solution for me, it saves me the cost of a microphone.

It would end in just having to invest on a NT5 pair and an SM57.

@BURNY : Hey, je ne savais pas que tu étais français. Tu es d'où ? :)

Well, I just didn't know how cheap was a ddrum trigger unit. This seems to be the solution for me, it saves me the cost of a microphone.

It would end in just having to invest on a NT5 pair and an SM57.

or you could build a DIY trigger following my guide for about 10 dollars. :headbang:

Holy shit, this stuff kills. Book-fucking-marked

Thanks a lot, man! :kickass:
I just posted a blog last night. We're releasing a cassette tape of the demo! haha

Anyway, I really do recommend those Red5 mics. I haven't actually used other cheap sets of drum mics, but from what I've read, the Red5 are way better, and my experience with them certainly indicates they are capable of professional quality results. If I had had more money, sure I would have bought individual mics, but I think I spent like $250 or so and got 7 extremely usable mics. To be fair, I haven't really used them on anything besides drums. So, if you have the money, buy great individual mics, but if not, you can't go wrong with the Red5.

I note about those ideas.

The shure kit seems a bad idea for me, knowing I can almost set my mike kit with nt5 for the same price.

Where is that DIY guide ? :)