Recommend a cheap but good snare drum.

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Hey all, I'm looking to get a fairly decent but cheap snare for messing around with and to have on the odd occasion that a drummer turns up with a bag a shit snare drum to a recording session. I'm in Oz's camp in the sense that I like snares that go "snap/crack" not "ping"

Looking to spend £100 or so, second hand as I'm pretty sure there'll be nothing worth looking at new in that kinda price range. Going to have a look around ebay/gumtree and see whats available.

So what snares do you guys like? Any favourite brands? Seen a few Mapex M series and PDP snares on ebay for not alot of money, but if there's anything that's gonna be more bang for my buck then I'd like to hear about it.

Also if there are any snares that you think are particularly crap for rock/punk/metal then let me know.

cheers guys.

You can't ever go wrong with a Ludwig Supraphonic. Ever. I've bought/sold many a snare, but I'll never let go of my Supra. If that's slightly above your budget, a Ludwig Acrolite is a good substitute.

A friend of mine uses a Yamaha Musashi oak snare, 7x13, and that thing cuts through guitars perfectly.

You can't ever go wrong with a Ludwig Supraphonic. Ever. I've bought/sold many a snare, but I'll never let go of my Supra.

Very true, own one myself too.

But I don't think you can get one for 100 pounds. You could, of course, save some more and get a Supra that probably costs like 300 pounds at eBay, you wouldn't regret it.

You can't ever go wrong with a Ludwig Supraphonic. Ever. I've bought/sold many a snare, but I'll never let go of my Supra. If that's slightly above your budget, a Ludwig Acrolite is a good substitute.

A friend of mine uses a Yamaha Musashi oak snare, 7x13, and that thing cuts through guitars perfectly.

all great choices. I would also thrown in some of the smaller DDrum snares, i think they're pretty cheap and sound great.

Thanks for the input guys, been having a look around today and I think I'm gonna do a bit of stretching of the budget. Once you hit £200-£300 there seems to be alot more choice and the quality looks much better. Quite liking the look of some of the black panthers.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

The Pork Pie Little Squealer is pretty nice for the money.

I use a Pearl Brass Freefloater. Its 3rd hand and like 20 years old so there are some problems with outdated parts n stuff but the tone is incredible (used on all my samples). I think its around $600AU new..? So maybe 2-300 Euros new, I don't know. The best thing about a freefloater is the massive tuning range, it can go really tight and poppy like LoG and really low and still sound decent. Non-freefloating snares have a really restricted tuning range that they sound good in.

Wow quite a few more replies. Thanks guys!

Been digging around some drum forums & gearslutz etc, alot of people are saying that a Ludwig Supraphonic is the way to go for a first studio snare, so I'm gonna be keeping my eye out on ebay for one of them.
Totally love the Pork Pie Big Black Bob samples that KeithTR99 has posted so thats definitely a contender.

Drummer for my band is needing new cymbals (his got stolen :( ) so me and him are gonna hit some drum shops in the next couple of weeks, try loads of stuff out. Also I know one of the guys who works in Drum Central in Edinburgh as I recorded his band a couple of months ago so hopefully between us spending alot of cash and me knowing him we might get a hefty discount :D

Hello

Someone can help me with this sample . Pork Pie Little Squealer ; PORK III . I just download from Seraph and sound like...