New snare, what head?

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
Just got a very sexy RMV snare 13X5.5 that has the old stock heads on it. Rings like crazy with this cheap head on it and thus, needs to be changed. Thoughts? You guys know my snares and how I like em to sound, for instance, the Sig snare is a Fiberskyn head and I loved that warmth and slight ring but I'm not sure that would apply here. Another common suggestion was a reverse dot. Here's a picture of it and a video of the snare I got, exactly the same snare btw.

995438_10153100898705055_1644236710_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2Hjd-HqZLww

I've never had ANY luck with those evans hd dry. They always sound way too choked off to me. Hate them under mics.

I've been trying a bunch of different heads lately and can't find anything that's as good as the ol Remo Coated Ambassador. Controlled sound is great too, just an ambassador with a center dot. Tune it correctly and throw as much moon gel as you need to control the ring. Gives you all the brightness and presence you could ever want.

Edit: Couple heads I've been wanting to try are the Evans g12 or G14. They're a thicker single ply head. That might give a bit less ring but not sound as boxy as the hd dry. Hd Dry's are 2-ply PLUS a control ring. Maybe give those a go? Evans power center are ok too, but they're basically just an ambassador.

I like single ply heads such as the G1/ambassador/cs dot etc.
although ive had ok luck with two ply heads as well, depends on your snare, i guess you'll just have to try a few?

Controlled Sound are tits, Vintage Ambassador is great for a fat sound with surprising amount of ring control, Emperor X for the next level up from that but without ending up sounding like cardboard (like Evans Dry heads)

Controlled Sound is getting more thumbs up from people. I won't be tuning this up or for blast beating. Think AIC modern rock.

Man, this forum needs more drum shootout kind of shit. Would love a drum head shootout or something like that, maybe a video showing getting different good sounds via tuning etc... I fucking suck at setting up drums and it bothers me.

Now I'm itching to try a Controlled Sound on snare.

I like fat, deep snares without ring. Is there a difference between CS and CS Reverse Dot? The Rem website does not even mention "Reverse Dot"

Now I'm itching to try a Controlled Sound on snare.

I like fat, deep snares without ring. Is there a difference between CS and CS Reverse Dot? The Rem website does not even mention "Reverse Dot"

Im guessing the reverse dot is better for a coated head for when players use brushes since the whole head is coated

The Controlled Sound IS the reverse dot. It's a coated ambassador with a reverse dot. They're one in the same, hence why the website just says controlled sound.

Again, even for fat deep snares, I've had the best luck with a coated one ply (ambassador or CS) with moongel.

Man, this forum needs more drum shootout kind of shit. Would love a drum head shootout or something like that, maybe a video showing getting different good sounds via tuning etc... I fucking suck at setting up drums and it bothers me.

Get a tunebot bro. The possibilities are endless and tasty as fuck.

I should just do a video of my own with my snares at my studio.