Good cheapo instrument cables?

Most "expensive" cables have a lifetime warranty. Monster, Spectraflex, etc. all have no-question-asked lifetime warranty. Just take them in where you bought them and they will give you a new one.

That said, the best bang for the buck is to buy your own Canare GS-6 or Mogami, some Neutrik connectors and build your own.

But on the cheap, I have been really happy with the ones from audiopile.net. Excellent spec, good construction and great sound.

Planet Waves is hardly what I'd call "cheapo", but yes, that of course is my vote if you can afford it ;) I stand by Pro Co as awesome value cables that have never done me wrong though! (pretty certain they're Neutrik connectors), and a) I hate soldering cables with a braided metal insulation (such as on unbalanced TS cables) and by extension b) don't trust my soldering skills enough when soldering cables with braided insulation to rely on them in a live environment, so I still buy my instrument cables pre-assembled (I just make my own XLR cables).

Yeah well the month thing was sortve an exaggeration but usually around 3-4 months they start cutting out. Sometimes they just need to be re-soldered at the plugs but with those annoying monster cables you cant get to the solder joint :mad: I should start treating my cables better you're right haha

I just put in an order to monoprice, mostly because its so cheap i would hardly consider it a loss if they DO suck.

If they suck I'm definitely going to man up to some quality cables with Neutrik plugs, maybe the mogami ones :) A lot of these brands you guys are mentioning seem difficult to get in the US :(

Interested to see what you think of them. I bought them initially because of the same reason as you (too cheap, so no big loss if they suck) and I've been surprised how great their cables are. In addition to the XLR, 1/4", XLR to 1/4" cables, I've also bought 4 or 5 of their premium SPDIF cables, which are killer, and about 6 or 7 HDMI cables from there. Monoprice pretty much sees all of my cable business these days. Extremely satisfied with their products, not to mention the price. In checking prices of buying the raw parts to make cables myself, I've found monoprice to be close enough in cost to making them myself that I see no reason to spend the time making them.

If you're concerned about the difficulty... well, let's just say that I can pull it off, with a significant jitter (read: handwriting looks like lie detector strapped to a neocon in an earthquake) and the attention span of... OOH, SHINY! I want a cat...

Jeff

So my order of Monoprice cables came in today, 2 out of 4 are microphonic :eek:

EDIT: Actually it turns out 2 of the jacks on my decimator g string must be fucked up

Haha, glad to hear it wasn't the cables (since I recommended them), but bummed to hear about your decimator.

I was putting away my cables last night and counted 18 Monoprice cables, and they've been perfect, so when I read this initially, I felt like an idiot for recommending them.

Haha, glad to hear it wasn't the cables (since I recommended them), but bummed to hear about your decimator.

I was putting away my cables last night and counted 18 Monoprice cables, and they've been perfect, so when I read this initially, I felt like an idiot for recommending them.

Well actually it's very strange, I only get the problem when using the decimator WITH the cables. the monoprice cables alone are fine, and the decimator with any other cables is fine, so its some weird interaction between the two I guess. When happens is that if I flick the cables I hear a crack sound through the amp, and only from certain jacks on the decimator. But hell, its a noise gate so I don't really care. It's not loud enough to clip the threshold.