Good DI Box These Days?

leaning toward the USB interface you recommended. it seems to have everything i need in one unit. although, watched a demo vid of it on youtube today and the guy was complaining about the clipping he observed when plugged in on the HI-z. he had to turn his guitar's volume down to avoid the clipping. i'm guessing he had active pickups. mine are passive. so, hopefully not the same issue. Did you ever experience clipping plugged in on the HI-z?
There is some myth about passive and active pickups.
Yes, actives are hotter, but only due to average (RMS) level, peak levels is totally determined by supply voltage, peak level can not be higher than clipping margin of particular Op-Amp at specific supply voltage. So, for EMG, it around 2.25 Vp (peak) or 4.5 Vpp (peak to peak), with standard potentiometers. Passive pickups does not have any limitation, you can get 3 Vp, 4 Vp,... even 6 Vp etc. So passive pickups are more troublesome, but average (RMS) level is lower.

leaning toward the USB interface you recommended. it seems to have everything i need in one unit. although, watched a demo vid of it on youtube today and the guy was complaining about the clipping he observed when plugged in on the HI-z. he had to turn his guitar's volume down to avoid the clipping. i'm guessing he had active pickups. mine are passive. so, hopefully not the same issue. Did you ever experience clipping plugged in on the HI-z?

In my experience, I never encountered that problem. I really liked the unit and the only reason I switched to the UR28M is because I needed more options as my studio grew.