Good drum mic setup for 650-700$

Sludgekicker

Aug 5, 2011
Any recommendations? One of my friends need a sweet drum mike setup. Is it possible to get 5+2OH mics for that prize? not super quality mikes of course...

if used is an option you can get a really great setup for example I would buy

a pair of octava mk012s on ebay roughly $300

3 sennheiser e604s around $150 on ebay

2 used 57s preferably found locally or from a good ebay seller to avoid fakes around $100 for a pair

that leaves him with $150 for a kick mic of choice either a d6 d112 or a beta52 all can be had for around that price on ebay

just my 2 cents but this would leave him with some solid mics that he wouldn't have to worry about upgrading again down the road

Are you going to be trying for natural tones? If you are going to replace anyway spend the 700 on nice overheads and get a cheap set of mics for the shells

on the list so far:
OH oktava mk012 X2
kick beta 52
snare i5 or 57

got 180 more bucks for the toms which i think is the most negligible am i correct?

Any recommendations? One of my friends need a sweet drum mike setup. Is it possible to get 5+2OH mics for that prize? not super quality mikes of course...

Europrices from Thomann, so USA price may vary slightly, but should be in the ball park:

Kick - Audix D6 (198€) or Shure Beta 52 (166€)
Snare - Audix i5 (98€) or Shure SM57 (89€)
Toms - Samson Qtom Mic Pack (58€, 3 mics, 25€ for each extra mic)
OH - Röde NT5 (285€) or Oktava MK 012 (298€), stereo pairs

Min = 166 + 89 + 58 + 285 = 598€
Max = 198 + 98 + 58 + 298 = 652€

Do note that the Qtom mics are not the best mics in the world, but considering that toms usually get hit like 3 times per song on average, they don't need to be much better, and you can always replace them with samples if you don't like how they sound. On the other hand, you can always just buy three extra SM57's or Sennheiser e604's

I still vote the package because of how much you save and how much microphone your getting.

If purchased separately the audix kit would run you almost $1200 and wouldn't include a case or clamps (not that I would advise using clamps but it's nice to have them every once and a while).

And second Lasse's comment about adding another couple 57s.

I got the audix dp5a and a set of oktava SDC's. Would totally recommend them to anyone looking to record drums. Shure do a pack with 3X57's and a beta 52. Good deal too but you'll need to shell out for more mics for most kits.

Check on ebay for ex-demo sets. Got my audix mics for dirt cheap as they were ex demo from a shop but still had the plastic covering on everything, they were immaculate condition.

I'm using my Oktava MK012 on additional chinas and splashes sometimes, defintely not a bad mic for the money...certainly better than all that MXR and SE stuff etc. (only MY personal opinion of course).
You'll be fine with them for budget overheads.

I still think your best bet is to get an audix set, but if you decide against a full set but wanna go the seperate mics route I'd say:

2xMK012 for overheads
beta52 for kick (not as good for metal kicks as the D6, but more versatile..fits other styles as well and is the best bass cab mic on the planet.)
sm57 for snare..(well...actually as many sm57s as you can afford...they sound good on everything..hats, toms..everything).

out of that list the b52 would be the most expnsive mic,,if you're recording modern metal ONLY and plan on replacing the kick anyways you could ditch that and just trigger the bitch

that's a tight budget. Note that you still need stands (fucking expensive stuff) and cables.

There are some great (beginner) recommendations in this thread but if you're looking for better quality, try to up the budget.

The Oktavas are great and versatile OH mics btw. I use C414's now but the Oktavas still get a lot of use on hi-hat and snare (love them for snare bottom!)

Ive actually already worked on a dp7 mic set except that the OHs were different and, I really liked their toms and the d6 was also great on kicks still, its a bit pricey since it must be brand new...

sorry i forgot to tell this so e-bay is out.

couldnt still figure out the toms, maybe some low quality mics now and sm58 later?

let it burn: we cant really go wrong here can we? :)

Ive got dp5 set as well, but only mics im using from it is d6 and d4, all else is not so fun.

Go for 2x sm57 for snare(then u can do fredman guitar cab technique as well), d6 for kick, CAD m179 for toms + oh