Recommend a complete drum micing setup

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hi chaps,

The time has come for me to invest in a good quality drum micing setup. Im initially looking at an 8 piece set which would take all the channels on the saffire 56. I have very little hands on experience with drum micing (coming from a guitar oriented background), so this is not the time to be buying Royers :lol:

My main plan is to close mic every piece of kit to begin with, and trigger the whole thing using something like drumtracker as a conversion tool. Obviously for this task, the most terrible mics in the world would be fine, but i'd like to get something mid range so that when it comes round to recording properly I would have something decent to use.

Obviously going to need relevant stands, cables, the whole shibang from scratch really. Maybe I could import the whole set from thomann.

Many thanks for advice in this particular situation :)

~Kev (the drum noob)

Snare: i5
Bottom Snare: Some SD condenser (e.g. sm81)
OH: Km184 or that Oktavas if on a budget
Tomns and floor toom: MD421
Room: AT4047
Hats: Sm7
Ride: Whatever
Kick: Sm91

don't get the cheapest ones...even the K&M suck (I'm using those) and you have to use force when you're tightening the screws.
get two REALLY solid ones for the overheads.
get at least 4 small stands! (for under the ride, kick, both snares), you'll thanks me later....(after you tried fitting all the tall stinds in all the tiny places)

PC: Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 930 @ 4.3ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 4TB HDD/ 64GB SSD, ATi 5870, Focusrite Saffire Pro 56, Adam Monitoring

Christ, perhaps some of the money spent on your PC should have went to microphones!

what kind of drum kit setup are you looking at? maybe 1 kick, 2 snare, 3-5 toms, 6 hihat and 7-8 overheads? here are some to pick from:

kick (in and out) audix d6, shure b91, b52, sennheiser e901, e902, e602
snare (top and bottom) shure sm57 for top and sm57 or pencil cond for bottom
toms (2-5) sennheiser e604, e904, md421, shure sm57, audix d2, d4, beyer opus 88
hihat (1-2) shure sm57, sm7b, sm81, other pencil conds
ride (top or bottom) pencil condenser
china large sized ldc like röde m3, akg c1000...
overheads (stereo pairs or close miced cymbals) either ldc or sdc pair like akg c414, c214, neumann km184
room mics (stereo pairs) ribbons are nice
ambience (mono or stereo) almost anything
triggers (2-7) ddrum or roland