Good Guitar Plug-Ins? Simulation + FX

Sep 2, 2010
I'm sure this has been discussed so if anyone wants to direct me to those threads that would be appreciated, just don't have time to search everywhere.

I'm looking into software plugins for guitar - amp simulation and also FX. Wanted everyone's thoughts on the better ones out there as there are many. I'm not interested in impulses but something more Amplitube-esque. A tonal variety replacement for a lackluster Pocket POD (and improved quality).

Also, I should note that I am NOT looking for metal rhythm tones. My ENGL does most of the heavy lifting for that stuff. I'm looking for good cleans, vintage type of tones, bluesy break-up stuff, and maybe leads. Also FX - traditional pedal board stuff: phase, flanger, chorus, tremolo, etc.

I'd prefer to not have something that is too CPU intensive unless it's really worth it for the sonic quality of the plugin.

Usable bass tones would be a huge plus but not a deal breaker.

Price isn't really a factor as most of this stuff seems to be in a competitive range with each other. I wouldn't wanna spend more than like $400.

Suggestions? I'm using REAPER if that helps.

why not Amplitube? That sounds pretty cool to me if want a all in one software for guitar without using impulses. You can get expansions for it too like the metal and SVX.

TSE X50 2.3 all the way, and soon we will have the 2.4 with a new X30 inside and more impulses and something more :)
10409352_623668981094426_5537732018764737634_n.png

said he wasn't interested in impulses though for some reason. Otherwise I agree about TSEX50 v2.3!

Well, I just haven't been too impressed by the free VST impulse stuff I've tried. The software packages seem to have had a little more development gone into them. Not totally ruling it out though if you guys think there's some awesome stuff out there that rivals or is better than simulator packages. And wow, that Friedman simulator sounds really good!

Looks like UAD is making some of the best stuff out there right now. Too bad I don't have the hardware to support it yet. BIAS and Scuffham Amps S-Gear seem like good runners up. I have a gift card for Guitar Center I was hoping to put toward software but their selection is a bit limited. I'll have to look into Amplitube, POD Farm, and Guitar Rig and see how they compare.

Thanks for feedback guys.

fwiw, I literally googled "guitar amp simulation software" and all the answers in this thread showed up in the very first hit. Especially with lower-gain tones, I'd recommend doing more of your own research before settling for Amplitube or Guitar Rig.

Having recently heard the difference between various DI's, I'd recommend spending most of your budget on the best you can on a great DI. It's made all the amp sims sound loads better and I could happily use a load of the free lepou (etc) amps as well as x50 with minimal fuss. A cheaper signal path=more battling to get a good tone.

Having recently heard the difference between various DI's, I'd recommend spending most of your budget on the best you can on a great DI. It's made all the amp sims sound loads better and I could happily use a load of the free lepou (etc) amps as well as x50 with minimal fuss. A cheaper signal path=more battling to get a good tone.

!This!

Please educate me here... as I don't quite understand that point.

If you plug your guitar in your interface, and let's suppose that the interface is of good quality. How would a DI box help in any way?

I read a lot of stuff about DI and I've never understood why it would be best to plug your guitar into a DI and then into your interface. My understanding of what a DI does might be wrong, but from what I know, I don't see the logic.

Or maybe I just completely don't understand what you meant?!

Please educate me here... as I don't quite understand that point.

If you plug your guitar in your interface, and let's suppose that the interface is of good quality. How would a DI box help in any way?

I read a lot of stuff about DI and I've never understood why it would be best to plug your guitar into a DI and then into your interface. My understanding of what a DI does might be wrong, but from what I know, I don't see the logic.

Or maybe I just completely don't understand what you meant?!

I think he was using "DI" as shorthand for "interface." Fwiw, I sorta disagree- granted I've never spent time with multi-thousand-dollar RME interfaces like most people on here- but I can't detect any real difference between my POD UX1, POD HD Pro, Roland Quad Capture, or Kemper when I listen to the DIs compared. Maybe a tiny bit muddier on the PODs but not enough to affect the end tone to any measurable degree. Just my .02.

I think he was using "DI" as shorthand for "interface." Fwiw, I sorta disagree- granted I've never spent time with multi-thousand-dollar RME interfaces like most people on here- but I can't detect any real difference between my POD UX1, POD HD Pro, Roland Quad Capture, or Kemper when I listen to the DIs compared. Maybe a tiny bit muddier on the PODs but not enough to affect the end tone to any measurable degree. Just my .02.

My bad then, I misunderstood!

I feel the same really. I own a Komplete Audio 6, and when I was shopping, I was also interested in the Focusrite stuff, as they seem quite popular...

Couldn't hear a big difference between both. I think I chose the Komplete Audio 6 just for the sake of being original... ;)

definitely didn't mean DI as interchangeable with interface.

most interfaces DI's are functional but not very good sounding. they'll do a job but use a decent active or passive with a good transformer and you'll notice your guitars sounding way livelier, more upfront, crisper top end and more full.

some interfaces like apogee ensemble and UAD apollo have JFET DI's built in which are higher quality than your standard DI. there's a reason why expensive DI's exist and get used rather than the cheap ones you'll find everywhere.

I've not used any RME gear but generally they're more known for their conversion and routing than being a great DI manufacturer. if it doesn't sound much better than a pod etc, then it's probably not a great DI.

I'm not very familiar working with DI's. So in the scenario that you're describing, what would a signal chain look like if I'm using a good DI? Is the DI in addition to my interface? Does the DI (if used in conjunction with the interface as I'd imagine it would need to) somehow improve the sonic quality than what would normally be heard by running through the interface solely?