Good Guitar Plug-Ins? Simulation + FX

No Recabinet 4 love here?

Recabinet 4 amps + TSE x50 v2 cabs = very good.

yes - the DI box changes the signal's impedance from hi-z to mic level. Furthermore, some DI boxes will sound better with some guitars than others. in an ideal world you'd have a few to choose from and pick the one that works best for what you need.

the signal that leaves the DI box then goes to a preamp, then to the converter. a good clean pre would be advisable after a good DI. the ones in interfaces are just combining these stages going from one section straight to the next. FWIW I used the hi-z inputs on a Mackie onyx for years which I WAY preferred to my little labs redeye (absolute tone sucker). The mackie sounds like arse compared to the uad apollo.

check out the top end radial DI's, they have plenty of high quality options.

Amplitube and Scuffham S-Gear come to mind. S-Gear doesn't have the FX pedals, but it does specialize very impressively in the non-metal tones you're looking for. That said, I spent time with Amplitube and have come to really appreciate it, mostly for its good sounding cab/mic/room sims. If I were in your situation, I'd get Amplitube 3 since it has all the features. But I think S-Gear has better sounding cleans/crunch/blues.

Also don't forget to experiment with different guitar cable lengths if you're running passives. The shorter, the clearer the DI.

I actually just tested a bunch of amp sims. I'd say TSE X50 was probably the best but not being able to save presets really annoyed me. Positive Grid BIAS was pretty good.

I´ve used both Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig. Amplitube is a bit better, IMO, it´s got a bit less in terms of available effects out of the box but I believe you can download more. Neither of them top my favourite impulse-based plugin, but for versatility and customization Amplitube is a good choice. It´s also useful "sketching tool", since you can run it as a standalone and record/export up to four simultaneous tracks with it even with different tones if you like, and a pretty sophisticated metronome.

I'm actually being given a DVD of a ton of plugins, including Amplitube 2 and 3 and Guitar Rig so I'll start with these and see how it goes. Thanks for all the feedback!

I have been using Pod Farm 2 for much of my client work with results good enough to make the clients happy.

However I recently purchased TSE X50 v2 and I love it. I'm stoked for the next release.

I also bought ToneForge Menace from Joey Sturgis Tones. I have only used it on one song, so far, but the tone worked for that song/mix.

Use of Amplitube/Guitar Rig is rare for me. Guitar Rig I use more for FX, and it definitely shines in this area, although I did use it on rhythms for a hardcore project I did late last year. Amplitube I really just haven't found a use for but I know a lot of people speak highly of it. It's just not my go-to.

BIAS interests me a lot, I've messed with the demo of it and would like to dive into it some more. I've heard some great tones out of it, a buddy of mine switched to it for his main rhythm/jam tone and it's pretty sick. So I can see myself purchasing it pretty soon.

Guys, Recabinet 4 with x50 v2 cab section and IRs - 'nuff said. Doesn't need to get any better than that.

just been checking this out. the blues amp and the orange one seemed especially nice to me. worth a fiver each IMO. nicer top end than a lot of amp sim plugs.

Huh? Are we talking about the same program?