Good LIVE mic? Audix OM5 or other?

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys!
Just a quick one... I'm quite nasal sounding vocally, if you hear the Orpheus album, that was achieved with an SM7, Ermz magic and a lot of effort on performance from my end to get it to sound how it does!

Having said that... I can't take the SM7 with me everywhere! And I've had the Audix OM5 suggested to me!

Can you guys concur or suggest another mic?
I'm looking for sounding well rounded in the lows so there's definition in the lows when I do them and also, a very focussed mic so it picks up when I'm right in front of it, not the shit around it!

Cheers,
Chris and Orpheus

Neumann kms 105 if your budget can stretch to it. Very clear, detailed and quite focused. It's pickup pattern is quite tight aswell.

Well, the thing is that I can't give you a clear winner because it totally depends on the voice and so on. I've seen SM58 work better on some people than their expensive Neumann handheld mic. Eventho sm57 is cool, but I really prefer the singers rather have a sm58 because of the saliva. Changing the grille every now and then is cheaper than buying a new mic. If I were you, I would rent a bunch of different mics and test them all out with a FOH engineer and choose the one that both like, the guy at front of house mixer and you thru the monitors.

I am usually super cool with any of the big brands hand held mics. Just make sure that the mic doesn't have a switch because it can accidentally engage and/or jam. Has happened to me more than once. I suggest anything that costs over 80€ with cardioid, supercardioid or hypercardioid polar pattern kinda like these:

- Audix (om2, om3, om5, om6, om7)
- Shure (beta 57, sm58, beta 58)
- Sennheiser (e935, e945, e845, e840)
- Beyerdynamic (opus 69, opus 89)
- AKG (d5, d7, d770)

Röde M1 is really good too

And the Shure sh55 "elvis mic" is semi-cool too, but not on metal. and it has a switch.

edit: and if you like SM7b, then you will also like SM58 because the capsule is vary similar.

http://www.homestudiocorner.com/2009/06/18/shure-sm7b-vs-sm58-with-audio/

Sennheiser e835. Compare it to a 58. It sounds like you took a sock off of a 58, better of axis rejection to prevent feedback, undentable grill, and 10 year no fault warranty from Sennheiser.

:lol: I was actually going to suggest that you get another live mic for the very same reason, Chris, but didn't want to sound like a prick.

I highly recomment trying out the Senn e934/945 options. I've used them in the past with two singers I use to work with and also got my mate in Winterstorm to buy one too. They sound great. They're a higher gain and tighter polar pattern than the 58 and basically sound the way Z3RO described, which should help reduce the nasal quality you get with the 58.

Entertainment warehouse in Sunshine has these for a decent price and are happy for you to test them with the semi decent PA they have set up in the shop:
http://www.entertainmentwarehouse.com.au/

Hey guys! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Neb, you're not a prick, I'm inherently nasal, so I'm trying to get a better mic, no prickness taken ;)
And yeah, anything that will make our live show better overall is worth doing!
I'm still tossing up between the Audix and the Senheisser you mentioned Dan, Garry mentioned those 2 also when I spoke to him, so that's a good sign! I'll have to check it out and see how I go... there's going to be a fair bit of new gear next time you see us! Trying to really get as close to album tone with everything as possible :)

Given the amount of people that have suggested the OM5 I'm actually quite interested to hear one myself now. Will be cool to see which one you get and how it performs at the next gig.

Since no prickness is being taken, could I also suggest turning up the amps just a touch at the next gig? The stage sound was a bit low, I think I play louder in my bedroom at times lol.

I think once the new mic comes into play you may find a few things can be done to improve the sound as you won't have to keep making room for your vocals.

Good luck! I look forward to the next gig. I'll know a shit load more lyrics by then ;)

Cheers dude!
Louder stage volume??? Really.. I had my amp nearly on 3 (huge loud for that amp) generally and by consensus, shouldn't stage volume be low by rule??? To make things easier for the sound guy. Interesting

Hmmm....

As for the mic.. for sure! I'll have it by next gig! See you there ;)

OM7. No question. Great for live metal, tight pattern and contrary to what allot of people will tell you, the low gain works in your favor. Get them to push you more at the board and you'll get to hear more of yourself in the monitors as it's not sucking in all the other noise onstage and causing feedback nightmares.
Wutzington is right. Hard to get them to feed. Clear sound. A little sensitive to moisture if your one of those "sylvester the cat" spittle singers, but a 2.00 mic foam will cure that right away. Male tenors tend to be nasal and the om7 is really designed for that.

hey Chris, troy from eye of the enemy here. definitely check out either the om5 or the akg d5.. either one would would suit you well.. if you weren't so far from hallam id say come down and try them both in the rehearsal rooms here..
cheers.

Hey Troy! Thanks for the input dude! Yeah haha, hallam is just a TOUCH out of the way hehe! I'll have to shoot you up some time about it though dude!

Cheers

You should REALLY try an 58beta, it totally rocks for live vocals.
More brilliance and cleaner as the std 58.

And another +1 for the KMS 105, but I haven't tested it on a loud stage...
The sound is killer, though.