Audix I5 or Shure SM57???

Altitudes

Stay Frosty
Jun 18, 2007
California
I'm looking into buying a quality mic for a reasonable price and I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on both. I have been told the Audix is slightly better and the one I should go for. What you think? I already know the SM57 is widely used and what have you, but can someone tell me why I should go with the I5?

I own both mics..and like them, but I'd say go with a 57. I really loved the i5 at first, but lately I've noticed that its not as versatile in the mix as compared to the trusty 57. While the i5 has a cleaner eq built into the mic...it seems like your stuck with what you got once it's on tape..like the mics(that and the D6) are pre mixed.

But that being said..it's still a good mic and I'm sure alot of guys on here will recommend it and have gotten great results from it. I just think the 57 is the safer choice, especially if your still not perfect at getting things "perfect" during tracking..like myself..ha.

I'd say the exact opposite - the 57 is the one that does a lot of the 'mixing' for you by emphasizing things that already get yanked forward in the mix and losing things that are typically cut. I'd also say that the i5 is a lot more forgiving and needs a lot less 'fine-tuning' to go from good to great. The i5 seems to get more of everything, so trimming things down to what will actually sound good is more in your hands than the mic.

Jeff

i use both, and it's hard to imagine not having either of them...the 57 is the one i tend to use more but that's more or less always in conjunction with another mic (e609)

if i were just a single mic guy, my preference would probably be like this:

e609
i5
sm57

As I see it, if tons of people have gotten amazing results from one 57, then I'll stick with that and work on my mic placement/amp settings if I'm not happy with the sound.

That being said, though, I do want an i5 for variety's sake.

it just depends....i find the i5 to be superior on snare(usually), but tend to prefer the 57 for guitars

i like the i5 under the snare... with a 57 on top... i realy hate it wen i'm given a project and the snare is only mic'd ontop.. does my head in. i find it makes it extremely hard to get any crack out of it. you just get that thud of the stick hitting the skin.. i end up tryin to add distortion hahaha or just gog it.

I recently bought an Audix i5 during my visit in the states. When I went to the studio for a testdrive on guitarcab. I put the mic pointing at the spot I normally do for starting point. I got a great sound right away, with the 57 i always have to trim it for a while. Maybe it was just luck but so far i am really satisfied with it. Loking forward to use it on snare drum.