Anybody try SM57 + Audix D2/D4 on guitar?

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys,

Just looking to see if anyone has tried combining a D2 or D4 with an SM57 on high gain guitars and what results were had?

I'm aware of the SM57 + MD421 combo but the MD421 is going to be out of budget even used. The D2/D4 seem to be used in place of MD421 on toms so this is my logic for wondering about a D2/D4 + SM57 combo. I've also got an i5, just incase someone with the Audix drum set tried i5 + D2/D4.

Thanks for your help.

Try getting an old 609 black face (Not the new silver faced one). I find they're sort of similar to a 421 and they work well on cabs. If you can't find one, the 906 is a good one you can find for cheaper than a 421. You could also get a second SM57, you can do a lot more than you would think you can with two SM57. If you absolutely want two different mics you could search for a old vintage Unidyne 545, it's basically the ancestor of the 57 but sounds slightly different and i prefer it to the 57.

The D2 and D4 are great tom mics but they where sort of built for that purpose. The 421 was never built to be a tom mic, it just happens to be a mic that many engineers used on toms. It is also used on kick, snare, voices, bass and other sources so it's another studio utility mic like the 57.

I've never tried them on guitars but get the feeling the D2 and D4 won't work so well on guitars. Their dramatic "pre-eq'ed" frequency response is tailored for toms. If you had them already i would say just try it out and hear for yourself if you like it or not. Since your looking to purchase a mic to record guitars specifically, i wouldn't waste my money on these and get something else that's a little more tried and true. Not saying the D2-D4 are a waste of money, but if i was looking for mics to record guitar these wouldn't be mics i'd be looking at.

Panu from Afgrund used on The Age of Dumb a sm57 and an Audix D2 on different speakers and both pretty close on the edge of the cone on his guitars (two tracks Boss HM-2 into a Marshall jcm 800 and two tracks 6505 w/tubescreamer.
Sounds pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. An e906 was already on the shopping list. It makes sense as a purchase even just for live use on cabs, since it doesn't need a stand.

I found this. Dirt starts at 5:38, not metal high gain but it gives some clue in context to the D2 and D4 vs a 57. Not great sound quality, but at least gives an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a D2 paired with a 57 several times. They can add something good to the tone if you spend time positioning them right, though they are thin on their own.