• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xconnyx

www.iheartsound.com
May 30, 2007
germany/bielefeld
www.iheartsound.com
hi!

i wanted to ask you guys about you opinions on tom mics. i'm thinking about buying a couple of tom mics to use for studio and live. since i'm going to use them for live sound most of the time, they have to be small but good sounding.

i have to admit that i'm a big fan of the sennheiser 604 tom mics but i discovered that audix d2/d4 is a way better mic then the 604. audix had me at hello so to say. the d6 and the i5 are great mics and so are d2/d4.

but, i want to use the same mic for all toms(10" to 18"). i wonder if the d4 is good for small toms too since audix says that the d4 is for big toms and small bassdrums. i don't want to use a different mic for the floor tom. like using 3 d2 for 10-12-14" and one d4 for the 16" ft.

also, i'm thinking about the beta 98 d/s. it seams that the 98 is the same capsule as the one used in the beta 91 bassdrum mic. and the 91 is one of my all time favourites. i used the 98 one time but i cant say nothing about the mic since the drums/desk/room/player/pa system was crap...

my general idea of tom sound live is to let them sound like small bassdrums with a focused attack/punch but more decay like an actual bassdrum has. this i why i can't decide.

maybe you guys could share your view on tom mics with me

Just a slight boost in the hi-mid area and a touch of compression if my memory serves me right.

I use d2's and a d4 for all my recording and live stuff- never lets me down, always sounds savage. A tech I work with also likes to use d2's on guitars live, says they soun great there too!

Has anyone here A/B'd D2 and D4 on floor toms? Is there a big difference in sound and tone?

Since I've got a D4 I've actually never stuck a D2 on a proper floor tom, but I've miced large rack toms with it though and never had a problem with low end on them. Why do you have to get all the same mic?

i aim for one type of mic for all toms because i always had the impression that the 604 on all toms sounded way better than 604 plus a bassdrum mic(d112/52/602) for the floor tom. the difference is to big.

i can imagine that the difference between d2 and d4 isn't that big but the fact that makes me wonder is the d4 has a hyper cardioid. i made good experinace with hyper cardioid mics. sometimes a little hard to be placed because they pick up reflections super hard if there is any reflection pointing towards the mic. but they avoid bleed from the sides pretty well to.

if anyone of you could record a sample of the same hit on small tom (10/12") with the d2 and the d4 mounted in the same angle position this would be awesome!

I've tried the beta 52 on a floor tom and didn't like it at all (I don't liked it that much on kick either). The audix d4 is not a kick drum mic, it's pretty much supposed to be the best fit for a floor tom. I haven't tried one but judging by the clips I've heard it should be awesome. An Audix d2 would probably work just as well.

421 is a good mic though but it is way to big to be used live. it is not possible to use the 421 with a clip. just with claws and even this would look pretty ugly.

just as i said, the mics have to be small.

i aim for one type of mic for all toms because i always had the impression that the 604 on all toms sounded way better than 604 plus a bassdrum mic(d112/52/602) for the floor tom. the difference is to big.

i can imagine that the difference between d2 and d4 isn't that big but the fact that makes me wonder is the d4 has a hyper cardioid. i made good experinace with hyper cardioid mics. sometimes a little hard to be placed because they pick up reflections super hard if there is any reflection pointing towards the mic. but they avoid bleed from the sides pretty well to.

if anyone of you could record a sample of the same hit on small tom (10/12") with the d2 and the d4 mounted in the same angle position this would be awesome!

I don't see your point in compromising for this reason- just go for a d2/d4 combo- they sound savage together and as already stated the d4's not specifically a kick mic, its designed for floor toms. Why get another d2 for it when you can just as easily get the mic designed for the job at hand? I knw the d2 will still sound very good on a floor tom but if you can you should get the d4

I'm gonna be away from my gear for a few days so I can't make the recordings for you, if your still waiting for some I can probably make some on tuesday.

one question:

does the d2/d4 come with the tom mount clip (i belive it is called d-vice)?

I believe they do if you buy some sort of package with several D2/D4's, but not if you purchase the mics seperately. Then you'll have to buy the D-vice in addition to the mics.

actually i've had 98 on two festivals recently...

two days before the show i talked to the drummer and he wanted to change the heads...
at the soundcheck i though "man nice tunes he really must have changed the heads..." after the show i found out he didn't... there were beta 98 on the toms (you can't see the mics from a 55meters distance foh). i used 98's at the next festival too... the got me now. i buy 'em!

actually i think that their sound is not that good when you just listen to the toms alone. but in the whole context they fit perfect and i think that is what counts the whole mix and not the band+toms :)