Tom Microphones (Sennheiser e604 vs Audix D2/D4)

ParsonsMatt

Alas, Tyranny
Nov 15, 2006
Athens, GA
www.myspace.com
I'm recording real drum kits now, and I need to get some good tom mics. I've got a pair of EV PL80a, which are quite good live vocal mics, but they're not that great on toms... (actually maybe they are, I need to do more/better testing)

I searched the forum for possible options, and these are the big contenders that came up over and over again:

- Sennheiser e604
- Shure SM57
- Audix D4/D2
- Sennheiser MD421

The MD421 is completely out of my budget, so its not really an option. We already do have a few SM57s, but we'd need to get a few more to have a full set. I'll do recording tests with the 57s and PL80as to see if we even need to upgrade at all, but if we do, it'll most likely be to either the Audix or the Sennheiser

So, between the e604 and the Audix mics, what's the preference? Are there any good clips/comparisons of both mics? I've read so many good things about the e604 and heard a few really good clips. And I had a D6 kick mic for a while that sounded awesome. I really like the mounting clips that the e604s come with, and I would probably purchase clips like that for the Audix mics as well (yes please!)

I'd avoid the e604 for go for the SM57, Audix i5, or the Sennheiser e609 Silver if you want a good tom mic for around $100. Mics that are mounted on the rim of the drum can alter the resonance of the drum and are difficult to properly position. I like the e609 as an inexpensive tom mic because it's SUPER easy to position (especially in a crowded kit) and its sound falls somewhere between the 57 and the MD421.

604s are really good you just have to put them on stands

I have a set of Heil PR28s that I really like too.. a lot of character like a 604 but with more attack and clarity

Check out the Senn E904s - basically the step up from the 604s. I own these, and really dig them, and they go down surprisingly low. I think the lowest they sound best on is 14". You can get passible results on 16" and lower but it's more attack cause you loose some low end energy. Like people said though, put them on stands instead of using the clip mounts.

I haven't tried the Heil's, but the quality of the PR20 and PR40 I have are enough to make me assume they probably do really well.

Something a lot of people don't consider also is that e604 love hi impedance, which most of our "prosumer" interface preamps dish out (i.e. firestudios, firepods, profires, etc.) , whereas afaik sm57s like a lower impedance. Not so sure about 421s or the others mentioned, but it's something to think about.

I've been using Audio Technica Pro35 lately for rack toms (D4 for floor toms). I haven't noticed too much vibration picked up from toms and Pro35 sound pretty neutral and natural to me. They handle high SPL and they're all still working even after getting some drum stick hits...

SM57 is great too, but with D4 on floor toms :)

so you don't pick up vibrations from the hits in the mic

That makes sense. Does it make that big of a difference?

D2 all the way!

Do you have any recordings/clips with it? :D

I've been using Audio Technica Pro35 lately for rack toms (D4 for floor toms). I haven't noticed too much vibration picked up from toms and Pro35 sound pretty neutral and natural to me. They handle high SPL and they're all still working even after getting some drum stick hits...

SM57 is great too, but with D4 on floor toms :)

I'd love to hear the D4 if you have any clips! :D

Love the 604's, been using the set for a while now... can't say I've noticed any issues with vibration though. I'll have to mic up the crappy studio set and a/b the rim mount versus stand mount.

604's are boxier than 421's or d2's

d2's are quite awesome

421's are great but you've gotta find the sweet spot, and its not where you think it is, looks pretty weird when placed properly, and if drummer's cymbals are too low, you're not gonna get it.