Tom Microphones (Sennheiser e604 vs Audix D2/D4)

421's are great but you've gotta find the sweet spot, and its not where you think it is, looks pretty weird when placed properly, and if drummer's cymbals are too low, you're not gonna get it.

Definitely. Imagine how much cash Sennheiser would make if they released a version of the 421 with a right-angled profile and a downward-facing output jack.

Now you got me intrested :) How about clip comparison with Sm57, D2/D4 , 421 ?? are the D2 just as good as 421?? And can someone describe the characteristics for the D2/D4??

if the D2's are as good as the 421 then the pricing on those are superb :)

I love my d2's/d4. Tried 57's on hi toms a good bit and liked it but never done the whole set of toms with em, might give it a go next time I get a drummer in on a project with a little time for experimentation.

I'm a big fan of the SM57 on rack toms and an AKG D112 on floor. Probably the only place where a D112 really shines :)

Edit: And I can't wait to test a Beyer Opus 99 on floor!

One of the main plus's for me with the d2/d4s in my experiance is the hypercardoid response, which is pretty tight/good rejection when compared to say a 57 which sound pretty similar to my ears aside from the pick up.