Snare drum mics

Polpotkin

Hit'er in the shitter
Dec 12, 2005
Sweden
www.myspace.com
I'm thinking of buying new drum mics. Audix D2 and D4 for toms and maybe i5 for snare? What do you guys use your i5 to more than amp cabs? From what I have heard it has a bit more open high end than an sm57. So are they any good for snaredrums? Other suggestions?
A friend of mine recommended beyerdynamic m201... :Smug:

I already have the D6, and i need 4 tom mics so I'll buy them separately in that case.
I really like the snare on Opeth - Ghost reveries, anyone knows what they used?

1st of all, most of the drum sound will can be attributed to the drum, drummer, and room more than the mic

that being said, the i5 is great on snare...especially for rock/metal - the thing just seems to be great at getting the "snap" that sm57's miss

i've also heard that the beyer m201 is a great snare mic, but i've never used one myself...i can definitely see it being nice having a side-address condenser for snare though

a secret weapon of many engineers is also to use an LDC under the snare - i know of many who use mics such as the AKG 414...i don't have access to one myself, but have used an AT 4033 with success in the past

I already have the D6, and i need 4 tom mics so I'll buy them separately in that case.
I really like the snare on Opeth - Ghost reveries, anyone knows what they used?

this is just pure speculation on my part, but i think they used an akg 414 into a millenia pre. the fascination street studio gear list is where i am drawing my conclusions from.