Good looping system for metal music?

Tennyson

Feb 22, 2007
Buffalo, NY
So I recently purchased a jamman solo XT loop pedal to help make songwriting easier. My band has 2 guitarists and we like to do a lot of dual harmony stuff a la Iron Maiden. This pedal sucks - in general as well as it sucks the life and tone out of my guitar. Also, if I am trying to do a dual harmony a lot of times it can only play one note and it drops out the other. I watched reviews on this pedal before buying and it seemed to work fine for a lot of people with more clean tones. So I'm thinking it has to do with using it on a high gain setup. Any suggestions for a good pedal or system for looping with metal music? LTD deluxe mh-1000 with Marshall Valvestate 8100 amp. Thanks

Me playing a Suffer tune on the Jam Man ...
in the first video I have a full song and why and how I used the Jam Man to record the full song then played it on my V-Drums. This is not a loop , its one tracking of the riffs in that song with the built in metronome and just played back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxhqSWNUa58

Second video is 2 loops one after the other back and forth (you can see me change the bank by hand) 1st a metal/ rock riff 2nd a harmonized melody improvisation 3 or 4 guitars layered as far as I remember on the melodic part which is a full bar long and it repeats so its actually a long loop. Pretty poor quality he recorded it with those older cell phones and because its rock with clean guitar and some loose messy drumming but its always fun doing that stuff...on his channel there is a few new Suffer songs jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_1OWc93Zw

oh boy , I just watched that , I wouldn't put it up ...

They are not easy to use , you cant just go into rehearsal and try use it , you have to practice hard and the main thing is that its very sensitive to how spot on your foot stomps REC and STOP or PLAY , sometimes you might hit REC or STOP a mili-second late or early and your loop will bethat mili-second out of time so as I said its not easy especially with fast tempo metal , its possible maybe if your whole band rehearses the song to the click-metronome but that would be pretty boring and when you play live it wont work unless you all hear that metronome including the audience lol.
It does lower the sound quality that slight bit but if you have hot pickups and cranked up you wont notice it that much ,you really notice it with headphones though . I have also used it to jam blues/funk with an improvising live band here in Japan and kind of Hendrix style riff improvising worked great.

Good luck , out of the Boss RC you have the better looper , the Boss RC is very weird to get used to and I've seen it gathering dust in a couple of guitarists who I know bought one.

Try getting your REC AND STOP perfect ...turn your loop level up a little