Good Metal albums in 5.1... Any suggestions?

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death is one of the first few albums relaesed in 5.1.

lamb of god - ashes of the wake

Are you sure???

To me the guitars were a little wider, and the layered vocals were spread across the front speakers - but nothing too different or revolutionary!

There wasn't a great use of it until Omerta, and that was only at the intro.

Are you sure???

To me the guitars were a little wider, and the layered vocals were spread across the front speakers - but nothing too different or revolutionary!

There wasn't a great use of it until Omerta, and that was only at the intro.

well good or not isn't the point it is available and definetly in 5.1 as dvd-a

fwiw even if things aren't panned all over the improved sound quality is noticeable. i heard it in a bose system in my old infiniti with dvd a playback and like 800 speakers and it sounded huge, much different than the stereo mix. there is also a pcm mix on there as well for stereo that you can play on a computer. sounds good in my studio with genelecs and a sub...

Watersheed's limited edition comes with a DVD and a 5.1 mix on it.

Im just wondering if these mixes are in 16 or in 24bit format. Following the "analog or digital" thread's theory, maybe we have better sounding records in the DVDs (?)

I heard more clarity in the dvdaudio of the dimmu album then the dvd stream, and I was being overly harsh about there being a diff. But it could also come down to the dacs used on the audigy zs I was using to play them.

Actually, I wasn't aware there was a 5.1 mix of that, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since Jens seems to have a boner for making 'em!

So, for you Liam - TGCD!!!! :D

I'm actually not a fan of 5.1 or surround sound in general. I think stereo still sounds the best for music, if it's on a good system.

That being said, I have enjoyed the 5.1 Opeth and Porcupine Tree mixes, because they're tastefully done and don't deviate too much from the feel of the stereo mixes.

I'm actually not a fan of 5.1 or surround sound in general. I think stereo still sounds the best for music, if it's on a good system.

That being said, I have enjoyed the 5.1 Opeth and Porcupine Tree mixes, because they're tastefully done and don't deviate too much from the feel of the stereo mixes.

I agree,.. I also 100% agree with the Opeth / PT 5.1 mixes. I would've liked them to have used the space a little more! But I guess it's horses for courses.