Good metal drums...Maple, Birch, beech?

maddnotez

Jul 18, 2009
Which drum types generally produce a better sound for metal or heavy music?

Most things I can find say Maple are best. What do you guys think from your xp?

Most things I can find say Maple are best.

Not my experience at all. Pure maple sound great for anything but metal when it comes to toms and Kick drums unless the music remain very "open" imo. Maple snare can be cool but it's generally a hit or miss.

Birch is much easier to record and get under control. Bubinga seems interesting too.

Mahogany, definitely not great for metal ime.

I've been very happy with birch when jamming with a band, and the toms I get in recordings are absolutely incredible.

Thanks for the replies.

I used to have a PDP birch that I really thought sounded great minus the small tom sizes I had.

But my drummer is persistant on getting Maple.

A better set is a better set, but at the same time. If something other than Maple naturally sounds better for metal than we need to re-think.

Thanks for the replies.

I used to have a PDP birch that I really thought sounded great minus the small tom sizes I had.

But my drummer is persistant on getting Maple.

A better set is a better set, but at the same time. If something other than Maple naturally sounds better for metal than we need to re-think.

Yes, mine is a PDP birch. I agree about the small tom sizes, but you can still make them sound HUGE.

Check this out. Go here: www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/01/horrendous_give.html and listen to Fatal Dreams, particularly near the end. Those are birch toms recorded with extremely cheap, chinese-made Red5 mics.

I'm not really trying to convince you - just giving real world examples. I've only owned a birch kit, but I'm completely happy with my tom sounds, and have never felt the need to replace those. Kick and snare I usually replace (but not because the drums sound bad haha)

For hard rock and metal, birch, definitely. It's generally punchier and drier (read: less resonant/bassy/muddy) than maple.

The Tama Starclassic Performer is my favorite rock drum kit out there, and I've recorded a LOT of kits. They're just consistently great kits.

birch definitely!!!
I've been using sonor force 2007 birch for past 4 years with great results.

also small tom sizes are just fine for studio use if you ask me. they cut more easily through guitars. just tune them pretty low and you should be fine.
I've been using 10" + 12" rack toms and 14" for some time now without any problems.