Good Mic Pre in the $350 - $500 Range?

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
I've tried using the rediculous search function, and it doesn't seem to want to yield anything useful. So, I thought I would post and ask what you guys would suggest for a useful, decent quality mic pre in the $350 - $500 range? Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions...a lot of love here for the FRM RNP...:cool: I'm open to buy new or used, so if you guys think there's somehting better in the used market for that price, I have no prob's with that.

presonus eureka. never used the rnp but i think the eureka is a fantastic deal for the money. a bit more features than the rnp that you may or may not use.

Not to hijack your thread, but to the dudes with more experience...

Is is true that solid state preamps are worthless and tube is the best??? Sounds very juvenile I know, but that's the vibe I got at the HC forums.

-Joe

I have not had the chance to use one but I know tons of people rave about the Grace 101. So new or used I believe you can get it in that range.

J.DavisNJ said:

Is is true that solid state preamps are worthless and tube is the best??? Sounds very juvenile I know, but that's the vibe I got at the HC forums.

-Joe

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
In fact, I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not a tube kind of guy when it comes to anything other than guitar amps. I've used several high-end units now (preamps and microphones), and have yet to be floored by any of them. I usually end up having to cut out low-mid mud.
But, to each his own, as they say. Time/experience will tell in my case, I guess.

J.DavisNJ said:

-Joe
I'd say this is totally untrue. It just depends on what you're recording.

the majority of my fave pres (if not all of them) are class A, all discrete, and usually transformer or op amp based solid state designs. i do love some tube compressors but i would say the importance of tubes to a mic preamp is only decided by the engineer, and much less a necessity than in guitar amps imo.

J.DavisNJ said:

-Joe

Not true, some of the most lauded pre-amp circuits are solid state.

Also, a Behringer MIC100 has a tube in the circuit and is a million times worse than the FMR RNP which is SS.

Yeah, I know it was your point. I was just laughing a bit at the fact that somebody would through a tube in a circuit because it basicaaly looks good, and not even make the tube do anything for the sound.

Lord Lurion said:
Yeah, I know it was your point. I was just laughing a bit at the fact that somebody would through a tube in a circuit because it basicaaly looks good, and not even make the tube do anything for the sound.

It's 'cos kids these days want a "toob pre" so they can make "massive, sick choons like Pharell, innit".

(That's something someone on my uni course actually said to me last year)