Good passive 7-string pickups?

Remy_5150

Aug 31, 2006
I tried searching for threads about pickups for 7-string guitars, but I couldn't find anything...my friend gave me a nice American-made Brownsville 7-string, but I want to replace the pickups. The EMG 707's are in a bass pickup enclosure, so I don't think those will fit as a replacement pickup (I know they make guitars with those installed though)....what are some good passive 7-string pickups? Dimarzio has a bunch of stuff, and if anyone knows anything about more boutique-type pickups, I'd be interested in that too.

DiMarzio makes some good pickups. For more of an EMG sound, without the battery and without the x-large bass pickup enclosure, check out Bareknuckle pickups. Also look at Lundgren Model M pickups. Barknuckles have been renowned to have a similar bite, clarity, and response as EMG's. They are based in the UK, so expect some nice shipping (not anything too bad though). Lundgren Model M's are what both guitarists in Meshuggah use for their 7 and 8-string guitars. They have a cool sound and I've had a session before where a guy had a set in his Ibby 7-string - Sounded wayyyy better than the stock Ibby 7-string pickups in their other guitarists axe, but then again what doesn't sound better than stock Ibby pups? :p

Anyway, I believe Seymour Duncan makes great pups as well, although I've personally never tried any of their 7-string models, I can attest for the JB and '59 even though I'm a die-hard EMG lover. Not sure if they make a 7-string version of either of those though.

~e.a

thanks for the info, I remember checking out Lundgren pickups a while back, I checked again...that'd be the ideal for me, but I checked out the price, and its $410 for one pickup....

also, while Bareknuckle pickups look like they are really good, I can't find anything for a 7-string option

I recommend the Dimarzio EVO7. I had on in my (ex)RG1527 and it was a great. It can even be quite versatile with a 5-way switch.

I was in the same situation as you. I wanted to have EMG's, but I didn't want to carve up my guitar, so I went with the EVO7.

Oh, and I have heard great things about the Dimarzio X2N 7 too. I think I would have bought the X2N-7 instead of the EVO, but it wasn't available back then. But like I said, the EVO is a great pickup as well.

The EMG 707's are still the best ones I have heard. I have a pair of them in my Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and they are badass.

For the 707s you're just pulling out a bit of wood on both narrow sides of the pickup to accomodate; you're spending either time routing the cavity a little wider or money getting someone else to do it, but few will say that it's not money well spent.

Info on what wood it is would be nice; unless you have shit wood I'd go for a JB-7/59-7 setup. Schecter Blackjacks ship with those, and if you want a clip I may have some floating around. The Duncan Distortion 7 is another good pick.

Jeff