Good stereo compressors? (hardware only)

I'd probably sooner grab another GSSL for like 1/6th of that price.

@Lasse: Mostly because I'd be using one of them in mono all the time on snare or kick, so I'd need another two. Though the idea of having 3 or 4 Distressors doesn't seem so bad to me.

I was looking into the Vac-Rac for backing vox, but that shit is too expensive.

I must admit I can't read Polish too well :lol:. Is that first unit a stereo LA-2A? That would be perfect for the backing vox.

@amarshism: I'm quite content with the two mono ones. It's not a compressor I'd really want to use in stereo. The plug-in handles the 'all-button' room mic duties quite fine.

Edit: Lasse, I'll check into that unit, thanks! ... just checked that old thread... you sold the fucking thing for the Waves API bundle!??? What the hell were you thinking? hahah.

Erik, it's mostly the 'rounding' and 'warm blanket' factor for me. Watch the CLA Classic Compressors video with CLA, as he runs you through the plug-ins. The effect the LA-2 has on the backing vox is more or less exactly what I'm after. In real applications he uses a Vac-Rac which is a very expensive tube unit, but if we can have a cheap stereo LA-2 clone, then I'm definitely not gonna complain...

Would also be awesome to have a good stereo mastering EQ. Anyone tried the Sontec clone that's floating around?

Erik, it's mostly the 'rounding' and 'warm blanket' factor for me. Watch the CLA Classic Compressors video with CLA, as he runs you through the plug-ins. The effect the LA-2 has on the backing vox is more or less exactly what I'm after. In real applications he uses a Vac-Rac which is a very expensive tube unit, but if we can have a cheap stereo LA-2 clone, then I'm definitely not gonna complain...

Would also be awesome to have a good stereo mastering EQ. Anyone tried the Sontec clone that's floating around?

Thanks for the explanation ;)

Hey, http://www.igsaudio.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&lang=english

though the lang variable was embedded somewhere in the last link, my bad.

Nice... those prices are really really steep though. For clones anyway. The LA-2 is one of the most expensive units on the page :(

The Pultec clone looks somewhat affordable though, so I'll def keep that one in mind.

EDIT: Shite realized the Pultec needs a line amp after it to boost the signal back. That's probably why it's so cheap - it's all passive!

We have a few NTP 179-120 comps at work, that ive tryed that I really liked on Rythm gtrs!.
Tho this was not really heavy metal but plain rock i used them on, but I really like what they did on gtrs. They dont color much if anything, but I have a feeling they might be good on backing vox too!.
No idea what they go for tho if one can find them for sale!.

Picture+24.png