Anyone using a hardware graphic EQ in the studio?

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
I've seen before that some guys like Michael Wagner used an old Urei (533 or 535?) graphic EQ on guitars. They don't really get mentioned all that much for studio use that I've seen though.

Any of you guys using one for anything in the studio? I recently picked up a Klark Teknik Dn 332 stereo 16band grapic EQ and I'm gonna try it out on the guitar and drum buses to see how it sounds. I got it for live use but it will live in the outboard rack with my compressors I also use in the studio so it's not any extra hassle or anything.
138285.jpg

I'm not interested in tuning my room with it or master bus work though as I've read the design of graphic EQ's introduce alot of phase shifting issues which isn't great for sound quality.

Don't use them on any sound sources, but we run our mains through a pair of White 4400's.... Our studio designer comes by once in a while to tune the big speakers with them...

try asking lolzgreg...i sold him one of those old urei 530's awhile back, and i'm going to assume he's at least attempted to use it on guitar reamps since then. my original intention was to do so, but my interface has a fucked up signal flow so it's about impossible to use outboard on the way in

Actually I take that back! We have a couple of API 560 graphic eq's in the board. I haven't used one in a while since we have tons of 550's, but they're actually very useful on snare, bass, etc. They're just 10 band in one octave increments...