Pro tools setup upgrade - using a console in the studio with Pro Tools

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
Since Pro Tools 9 began offering compatibility with different soundcards and interfaces, I've been thinking about taking the step up and getting a nice analog console for the studio. Not only will this offer nicer preamp and EQ sections on the way in, it'll also offer much better summing and a more hands-on approach to mixing down.

As I'm primarily a livesound engineer, the latter of the advantages appeals to me a lot. I'd love to mix more out of the box and I'd also love to be able to easily patch in outboard gear.

Now, obviously in the past this would have been an extremely expensive project - having to get a full HD system with multiple expensive Pro Tools I/O units. However, now presumably there are more affordable options for linking multiple interfaces and getting heaps of ins and outs. Does anyone have any good experience with interfaces they would recommend?

For the money, it's going to be tough to beat the Lynx Aurora 16. 16 in/out for much less cash than Digi's interfaces. I'd probably go that route if I was starting from scratch.

Not sure what your budget is, but on the low end of things the new Allen & Heath GSR24M looks very nice. And it would be a really easy all in one solution for something like this.

Thanks for the input guys. Already have a potential console lined up so something like the A&H setup isn't really what I'm after. Aurora 16 looks nice, but is pricey considering a few would be needed in order to get the I/O I'd need.

How about the Motu gear - namely the MOTU 24I/O.. Anybody have experience with these? I've had a bit of a read up and it seems, using the PCI-424 card, up to four of these units can be linked together, effectively offering up to 96I/O.. Obviously at this stage I don't need this many but being able to like two of the units together would be perfect, 48 ins and outs..

Is this as simple as I'm thinking it would be, to purchase the PCI-424 card and two Motu 24I/O units? Or am I missing something here..

Rme offer good solutions and are probably the most stable. I am soon to be getting a raydat + adi-8 setup.

How about the Motu gear - namely the MOTU 24I/O.. Anybody have experience with these?

Gearwise= decent. not something I would use, but good.

Customer Service= The absolute worst in the industry. If anything goes wrong, have fun getting any help.

Keep in mind PT9 still only supports 32 simultaneously armed tracks, which might be a problem with LFC's.

Yeah unless you buy the add on packs, you still only get 32 i/o.

I would go with an SSL-alphalink. 24 I/O , quite cheap if you considering it to be highend

This would be my choice personally.

However, I'd also whole heartedly suggest HD native. 64 i/o and the system I was on was rock solid. Now obviously you have to buy the more expensive I/o system, but if you need more the 32 i/o it;s really your only choice.

It really depends on just how "Large Format" you are going, and if you want to utilize your whole console without summing in the box. Like CFH13 said, if you want 64i/o HD Native is probably the cheapest way of getting there with that much stability. If you dont need that many i/o there are a lot of other great options that have already been mentioned.

The cheapest way to get heaps of tracks in and out of PT probably is:
- Marian Seraph A3. PCIe card with simply 3xADAT in and out (=24 ADAT i/os)
- 3 x Behringer ADA8000 for 24 analog channels in and out. But those Behringer units built after 9/2009 have a bug where the output get's muted after a second of digital silence or so.
- Or replace the Behringer with a Ferrofish 16 or higher end converters of your choice