goodbye pantera hello damageplan

mrthrax

riffer madness
Feb 17, 2002
australia
Visit site
i for one love the new damageplan record,the great groove and diversity that pantera once had is alive and kicking with damageplan,this album kills reinventing the steel,sure nothing will beat pantera when phil was at the top of his game but i aint missing pantera one bit!!!

any thoughts?

Great record - like you I aint missing Pantera either really - maybe cause of this record ?

BTW - am I the only person who thinks track 6 (Reborn, I think) sounds like Sabbath's N.I.B ? Is it just me, but it has a very similar groove and the vocals sound a little alike too.

i'll have to check nib out by sabbath,cant recall what the song goes like,sure i know a few sabbath songs but i dont really listen to them much

I was pleasantly surprised... I had low expections... only because the hype is hard to live up to, not because of Dime and Vinnie. Some songs are great, some are so-so.

People say some of it sounds like nu-metal. But don't forget: nu-metal at its roots is really, really, really bad Pantera rip off riffs. Even Dime and Phil acknowledged that over the past few years.

My only complaint... most songs the bass doesn't really deviate from the main riff and do something interesting (a la Frankie Bello, Joey Vera, or even Gene Simmons). Plus there should have been longer leads.

And yes... I said Gene Simmons... back in the day he wrote some catchy basslines.

I think the Damageplan is great, it gets better with each spin. Panteras best albums were Vulgar and Cowboys. After those they went in a different direction. One that I didn't love but didn't hate either. But that never was as great as Vulgar or Cowboys.

people have got to remember this is a new band,there was no leftover music from pantera on this record,i cant wait for the next record,i have no doubt it will slay there debut,as for the bass i think the bass lines were done before bobzilla took over,some guy from jerry cantrell band who left for whatever reason had already layed them down.

jdelpi said:
Not trying to sound elitist or anything, but it's blasphemy to not know NIB
:OMG:
i didnt say i have not heard the song before but in reference to tims comments i cannot recall how the song goes,i am not a sabbath maniac and have never listened to any of there records from start to finish and i am proud of it

by the way hows the exodus record???

Cincy Vigilante said:
I think the Damageplan is great, it gets better with each spin. Panteras best albums were Vulgar and Cowboys. After those they went in a different direction. One that I didn't love but didn't hate either. But that never was as great as Vulgar or Cowboys.
damn right, after that , I lost all interst, still bought the records, but they did nothing for me!!

I think the Damageplan cd sucks...really... I'm disapointed. :erk:
The vocals sucks, but he's great when he played guitars with halford!! :) STICK TO THE GUITAR PAT!! :loco:

My opinion is, I think that Dime and vinnie could have come up with something NEW, as you all say "It sounds like pantera sometimes". So it's kinda like PANTERA without Phil and Rex....When you start a new band you should find a new sound also..

Sorry, I dun like it...

:yell: :yell: :p :erk: :err: :dopey: :Smokin:

mrthrax said:
i didnt say i have not heard the song before but in reference to tims comments i cannot recall how the song goes,i am not a sabbath maniac and have never listened to any of there records from start to finish and i am proud of it

by the way hows the exodus record???
I didn't say "heard." I said "know." It's fine if you don't like Sabbath. (I can't understand why; they're the grandfathers of metal.) I don't see why you are proud of it though. You're missing out on a whole bunch of classics. I can't wait for the box set.

I don't have the new Exodus yet, but I heard it kicks ass.

NP: Slayer - Feb. 11, 1991 Paris, France :headbang:

remington69 said:
I'm really not looking forward to that. I mean, I already have all the albums (some on vinyl too). All I would want is be the DVD that's included.

I understand. I'd like to have them remastered though. Some of the CDs I bought are of pretty piss-poor production and I'd like to have better versions. I love the remasters from Rush, Van Halen, Kiss and Iron Maiden. The Judas Priest ones are ok.

Speaking of Priest, I think their box set is going to be a rip-off. I just want the DVD and two or three songs I don't have from that.

Iron Maiden's box set is my favorite. [Eddie's Archive]

I am disappointed in Damageplan. I thought they would have some integrity and not follow the trend path, but some of it does sound like nu-metal to me. The bad kind, not the deep rooted Pantera rip-off kind or even Machine Head's The More Things Change...

The new Exodus kicks ass. They don't care about the current state of music. They thrash it up like it's still 1990. And Zetro really belts it out on this one.